Mild climate winter feeding question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I live in a rather mild climate, California Central Coast. We may occasionally get a frost and rarely a freeze. My pond water temp does get down to about 55-60 in the winter. My question is should I continue to feed my babies regularly or not?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lucky you and your warm climate. Your fish will love you if you feed them and as long as your temps stay in that nice range and above then feed those piggies :LOL:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond water temp does get down to about 55-60 in the winter. My question is should I continue to feed my babies regularly or not?

I've quite a few times on this forum that 50°F is the magic number, so you should be ok to feed them. I do and my water is 52°F, I just feed less than I would in Summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
As long as your ponds temperature does not dip bellow that of 10c - 50f then by all means continue feeding , it may however be an idea to swop over to Wheatgerm and Garlic whilst temperatures are low swopping back to your normal foods when the temperature starts to move upwards again.
If the temperature hits 10c or bellow stop feeding completely until the temperature has been steady above 10c for a number of weeks
I hope this helps

Dave

Reaction score
I live in a rather mild climate, California Central Coast. We may occasionally get a frost and rarely a freeze. My pond water temp does get down to about 55-60 in the winter. My question is should I continue to feed my babies regularly or not?

I also live in a mild climate. I feed all year. Sometimes I wish I could break for winter! LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Tell you what Priscilla you come live here in the UK and we'll swop with you " utter bliss all that warm Caribbean weather " plus the odd hurricane or three but your more than welcome all the same :cool: :happy: :LOL

Dave

Ask a Question