Milk crates as plant holders --- my adaption to prevent containers from falling

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe no biggie, but in the past I've had trouble keeping my lily containers [and other containers] from falling off the crates. Probably because my pond bottom wasn't 100% level, but whatever....

Here is a solution I plan to implement as soon as I get the liner back in and the pond filled [has been down for renovations -- slow going in our household, LOL!].

I used 1/2" PVC for this and made the little "X" shaped support you see in the pics. Then I zip-tied the PVC support to the top of the crate. The little inch-or-so projections I have coming off each arm of the "X" should prevent casual slippage in the event the crate or the pot gets bumped.

This was sized for the oil pans from WALLY-WORLD, but you could do it to match any size container.

image.jpg

Oh, and just as a precaution, I hollowed out the sides of the crates to prevent any fish from getting caught in the crates holes. Some of my GF are getting pretty big.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I like it - a simple, fool-proof system. I also like the idea of the wide pan to hold the lily. I have a couple in conventional planters, and the roots are bursting out all over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wow thats great! My crate is bucking from the sheer weight of my container full of gravel and water, i'll remember to do this!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If anyone does end up using this idea, let me know how it worked for you and if there are ideas for changes or upgrades.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like it - a simple, fool-proof system. I also like the idea of the wide pan to hold the lily. I have a couple in conventional planters, and the roots are bursting out all over.

Addy was the one to suggest the WALLY-WORLD auto oil pans. They are a good size & shape for lilies.
Neat idea. Pot holder and fish hideout.
There was really no reason for me to go to that extreme cutting out the sides, but I've had a few fish get caught in holes before, and didn't want to take chances. I'd also thought about using the PL goop and gluing some strips of landscape fabric on the inside, kinda like a curtain -- fish hideout without worrying that they'll get stuck.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like that idea for my pump. Someone keeps knocking it off the crate.
I thought of doing that, as well. If you do, please post the results!

I had wondered about the tops of the crates being top-heavy and tipping [which would make the PVC "holders" basically worthless if the whole thing fell over]. They seem stable enough. Anyone have experience with toppling crates?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My crate is always floating when they knock it over. Now, that you mentioned this, not sure if they are knocking the pump off or hitting the crate and toppling the pump. hmmmm ...

Ask a Question