Milk crates as plant holders --- my adaption to prevent containers from falling

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My crate is always floating when they knock it over. Now, that you mentioned this, not sure if they are knocking the pump off or hitting the crate and toppling the pump. hmmmm ...

Guess you could always zip-tie a rock or brick or something else heavy to the bottom -- well, the bottom is really the top isn't it........ You know what I mean -- the part that sits in contact with the pond bottom, err, pond surface...... Now I feel like listening to "Who's On First?"

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I liked the idea so much and had new lilies to plant so went out and got 8 black crates and the necessary pvc fittings. Zip-tied the crates into a 4 crate block 2 crates high. Built the holders to fit the 5 gal. lotus pots I have and sprayed everything black. The pots fit beautifully and I was able to move the whole platform without dumping a plant. I put plastic fencing around it to keep the kids out but just noticed when I topped off the pond, the water level is right at the top of the fencing. Hopefully the koi won't notice!
I like that idea for my pump. Someone keeps knocking it off the crate.
I like the idea for the pumps as well. I have mine hanging with ropes right now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
mrsclem where did you get your milk crates?

I used to have some old ones that I used when I had horses (I *think* I picked them up behind the old Lawsons stores back in the day but shhhh don't tell anyone) I saw one at my sisters house that I talked her out of but other than that I don't know where to buy them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I liked the idea so much and had new lilies to plant so went out and got 8 black crates and the necessary pvc fittings. Zip-tied the crates into a 4 crate block 2 crates high. Built the holders to fit the 5 gal. lotus pots I have and sprayed everything black. The pots fit beautifully and I was able to move the whole platform without dumping a plant. I put plastic fencing around it to keep the kids out but just noticed when I topped off the pond, the water level is right at the top of the fencing. Hopefully the koi won't notice!

I like the idea for the pumps as well. I have mine hanging with ropes right now.
Pictures!!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Got the milk crates at Target for $3.99. Walmart also has some for $3.47
Was going to get some pics but got the platform dropped in before I thought of it. Sorry! If the water clears I will try to get some pics. Knocked the hose loose from the pump going to my Savio filter trying to climb out. Quick connect was so covered with algae I had to scrape it with a knife.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Was just at Home Depot, and they had a bunch of milk crates that they'd just gotten in. They were around $8.00 plus [the price sign was up high and partially hidden by the crates, and I'm too short to see over everything], though, which is higher than y'all are quoting from other stores. I think mine from Tractor Supply were in the $5-$7 range.

image.jpg

Ask a Question