Millions of micro bugs , what are they ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello , could anybody tell me what these little microorganisms are ? There are millions of them !many thanks .
I’ve attached a photo , which isn’t very clear , but I’m trying to identify the little specs you see .
There are millions of them , pin prick size and they dart about . Whole barrel pond is full of them .

Attachments

• 6143D75A-2C83-4C78-8003-26D36EF3D612.jpeg
    6143D75A-2C83-4C78-8003-26D36EF3D612.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 276
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Without a microscope I can see them clearly , there are thousands of them . Moving about all over the pond , Nothing to worry about then you think ?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Without a microscope I can see them clearly , there are thousands of them . Moving about all over the pond , Nothing to worry about then you think ?
Well since we really don't know exactly what they are it is hard to say but I would just assume they won't really hurt anything if they are the copepods. You can look up copepods to see if they harm anything.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cool , just wanted maybe a rough idea . As hadn’t a clue . Thank you for giving me a idea of what they might be . One day there were none ! The other .. millions ! So was curious .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! More information is needed. Have you done an internet search for “small ’bugs’ found in UK pond water?

No idea what they are, but willing to guess they are a part of the pond’s natural ecosystem. Yes, if you had a microscope with low power or even a good magnifying glass, it would make them easier to ID. They aren’t microorganisms because you can easily see them with the naked eye. Are they round or even have a recognizable shape? Do they have an identifiable head, legs or a tail? What is their pattern of movement — do they move in circles, do they move in straight lines, are they slow, are they fast? Do they appear to be eating something? Are they free-swimming, or do they appear to be attached to an object? What layer of the water do they occupy…..shallow, deep, all levels?

Also, what is the makeup of your pond? Do you have fish, plants…..?

Here’s a starting point for you…….

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They look round I would say , and there are like thousands of them ! Whole barrel pond is just full of them . They are basically half the size or even a quarter of a size of a full stop , some even smaller , like a moving fleck . Think I can make out some kind of legs on some , they just move around , not in any particular direction though .. fast pace . Honestly two small to see if they are eating anything . Free swimming …
I have plants in my pond , miniature lilies, zebra rush ,water Violet and oxygenating plant .Also have lots of snails that are multiplying ! The water looks clear and the plants are thriving .. growing quite rapidly . We’ve had mosquito larvae but a dunk got rid of those .
Now it’s just full of these moving specks ! Like millions of them !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recon they probably are a water flea or Copepods … trillions of them !! Multiplying buy the day

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have any fish in there? They would probably inhale them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
a few mosquito fish or guppies and they will be gone.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no they are pretty hardy to barrel type ponds. Just put in a few.

Ask a Question