Mini bog filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i would like to transfer my bog plants into a gravel bed.i don’t have enough room to build a proper size bog filter but still wanted to run water though the gravel bed to help eliminate the Need to have plants in pots full of dirt and fertilizer adding unwanted nutrients to pond.i was wondering if there is a formula for determining gph ratio to size of gravel bed. My hope is to prevent dead spots between pots and use as much of the nutrients in the pond. Plan on adding skimmer with second pump for gravel bed. I still plan on having my current bio filter feeding my water fall. In zone 7 would my plants winter in eight inches because that is the depth of shell I plan on using. In the past I have lowered plants for wint and lifted in the spring. Wanted to use my dwarf cattails and Louisiana iris. Any ideas would be a great help thanks

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Warren, I use window boxes hung on the side of my raised pond. I have pvc pipe that sprays water across the boxes that then drains back into the pond. You could probably set up something similar using planters
021.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Warren, I use window boxes hung on the side of my raised pond. I have pvc pipe that sprays water across the boxes that then drains back into the pond. You could probably set up something similar using plantersView attachment 109258

that is such a great idea, starting to get some ideas to expand my aquatic farming...

Ask a Question