Mini cattails

springknee

1000 gal pond 2200gph pump
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I bought a couple of mini cats last year. They grew really well but never did flower.Has anyone had any experience with them. Does it take a couple of years or do they not flower?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't know about the minis, but the regular cattails take around 3 years to get the cattail.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought my mini cattails last year also and they did not flower either .i was told 3 to 4 years .

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
This sucks to hear, I was going to get some mini cattails as well. Guess I better get them now and wait 4 years.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My mini cattails bloomed both years I had it. I bought it from my pond supplier so I do not think it was 4 years old (but not sure of that) It is growing now but not close to any bloom. I did use one of the fertilizer sticks, not sure if that helps.

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My mini cattails bloomed both years I had it. I bought it from my pond supplier so I do not think it was 4 years old (but not sure of that) It is growing now but not close to any bloom. I did use one of the fertilizer sticks, not sure if that helps.

Awesome! I am glad to hear that. I can't wait to get the pond up and running and plant some mini cattails.

Sorry if this is off topic, but they are marginals correct? I don't need a bog?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Awesome! I am glad to hear that. I can't wait to get the pond up and running and plant some mini cattails.

Sorry if this is off topic, but they are marginals correct? I don't need a bog?
I do not have a bog but they would do well in one. I planted mine in gravel in the area in the pond for planting. The area has about 1 1/2" of water over the gravel

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I got a pot of them the last two years at greenhouse nearby. They were "blooming" (tiny 2" cattails, sooooo cute!!!) when I bought them. I agree, they were not 4 year old plants. Mine have flourished this year, spreading out in the "pool" area at the bottom of my waterfall. Pretty sure I will get cattails from both plants again this year, but we shall see. The pots they were/are in are not nearly as big as that area, so they have "jumped the pots" and are growing in the stuff in that pool area. I didn't clean it out, and as you can expect, there is muck that gathers in the bottom of that area. I thought it was a very bad idea, but if these babies thrive, then they will keep it from being smelly. :)
003.JPG
004.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It would be nice if the catalogs [and web pages] would tell you how long you can expect to wait for blooms, or catkins, in the case of cat tails. But, maybe if they did supply that information -- "your plant will not bloom until it is 3 years old" -- they'd be afraid no one would buy it.

I have learned to be patient with my plants. Plant something and wait...... Something that doesn't do much the first year usually takes off come the following spring.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I talked to my neighbor Tammy and she said hers bloomed the second year and she bought hers at the same place and used the jobes plant spikes so I may try them in it to see what happens to mine

springknee

1000 gal pond 2200gph pump
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
this is my second year. I was out wroking around the pond and noticed mine look like they're getting catkins on them. So maybe this will be the year.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
spring knee you need to do a video or more pics .I love how it looks .I think by the pic your deck comes out to be the bridge over your pond .We need to see more of it

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine bloomed the year after I put them in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
All cattails will do a reed mace in their second year planted. They do like to have a well established root system before they pop.

If you plant them in Spring they have very little time to root in before the heat of Summer stresses the plant

Many a hardy aquatic perennial likes to have all Winter to settle in before they are strong enough to do blooms

Regards, andy
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Attachments

• cattail6.jpg
    cattail6.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 389
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
And, there you have it. The expert has spoken. Thanks, Andy! I wonder, too, if many of us separated our minis when we planted them, to have them in different areas, and thus their root system was disturbed and then it DID take them another year or two to get cattails. I left mine in their pots, thinking it would contain them, which it did not. :)

Ask a Question