Mini "Dr Dave Filter" for 700 Gallon pond?

Reaction score
Dr Dave!

I am looking for some assistance on building the filter with the blue evaporative filter and pond plant baskets you describe here :

http://www.pond-doctor-dave.com/homemade-pond-filter.html

I have the filter sheet, two of the baskets and this pump

http://www.harborfreight.com/258-gph-submersible-fountain-pump-47117.html

Do I put the filter pads then filter in the basket the zip tie the two baskets top to top?

This pump has a fountain head I would like to bubble above the water. I guess cut a hole in the top basket?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't use filter media in any of my filters. It is not required. Go to my website, not the one you posted. Mine is in my signature.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I don't use filter media in any of my filters. It is not required. Go to my website, not the one you posted. Mine is in my signature.

Sorry! :rolleyes:

So how do I take the one on your wesbite and shrink it down to be a submersible filter/pump in a 700 gallon pond?

It is official. I am clueless and overwhelmed when it comes to filters, pumps, bio filters, bio media, etc....:confused:

Reaction score
Believe me, you do not want a submerged filter for your pond! It will handle the nitrogen cycle, but it won't clean the water. And one that is big enough will always look ugly in your pond. I've been there, and my pond was only 100 gallons.

Get yourself a 55 gallon drum, a barrel, a trash can, an oversized flowerpot or whatever and build a filter that sits at the pond edge. You'll be so glad you did.

Reaction score
shakaho said:
Believe me, you do not want a submerged filter for your pond! It will handle the nitrogen cycle, but it won't clean the water. And one that is big enough will always look ugly in your pond. I've been there, and my pond was only 100 gallons.

Get yourself a 55 gallon drum, a barrel, a trash can, an oversized flowerpot or whatever and build a filter that sits at the pond edge. You'll be so glad you did.

I really do not have that much extra room to spare.

And with a 258 gph pump, how do I get the water from the pond into the container?

How small is too small of a container?

Will a whiskey barrel liner work or does it need a lid? I was looking at one of these as well..... http://www.lowes.com/pd_192858-3657..._prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1

If that will work, how do I plumb it?

Reaction score
Can you show us your space (with pics)? I suggest you start with reading this thread on how to build a filter.

The containers you are showing are too small for a 700 gallon pond. You don't need a lid, it's probably best to grow plants (in pots of gravel) in the top of your filter. If a 55 gallon drum is too big for your space (it was for mine) you can get a 30 gallon drum from a carwash. Soap comes in them. Your have to wash and soak them to get the soap out. You can probably get one for asking. I'm bashful, so I bought some on Craigslist for $5 apiece.

Reaction score
shakaho said:
Can you show us your space (with pics)? I suggest you start with reading this thread on how to build a filter.

The containers you are showing are too small for a 700 gallon pond. You don't need a lid, it's probably best to grow plants (in pots of gravel) in the top of your filter. If a 55 gallon drum is too big for your space (it was for mine) you can get a 30 gallon drum from a carwash. Soap comes in them. Your have to wash and soak them to get the soap out. You can probably get one for asking. I'm bashful, so I bought some on Craigslist for $5 apiece.

That thread really helped. Thanks.

I will look into the drum idea or I will find a suitable container.

One other question, and to me it seems dumb, but the pump stays in the pond, with no other filter than the pre-screen, correct?
Is so, that pump pushes the water to the top of the container outside the pond, fills up said container, through the bio media and back into the pond at the top of the container/outlet? Is that all there is to it?

I think am starting to get the hang of this stuff. It is real simple science. I love simplicity! :lol:

Thanks!

Reaction score
Wow I can't thank dr Dave enough, you really made the filter so so so much easier for me, I have been wondering for months about how I would make it and then I checked out the one on your website with the chicken wire and I was like omg where have you been for the last year lol. I just want to say thank you for making it so easy

Reaction score
I deffinately agree, I was thinking through about 10 different styles and then I seen your really simple filter and I seen videos of your pond so I know how clean and clear it is and you don't even use a u.v which is even more amazing. Is it better to use hard surfaces in a filter as opposed to sponges or scrubbing pads? Why? And also do you use plants in your filtration? If so what kind?
Thanks

Reaction score
shakaho said:

Will a 258gph pump elevate the water enough to fill the out of pond filter? :)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your pond is 718 gallons, I would use a pump that is near that in GPH, preferably about a 1000 GPH pump.

Making a mini Doc Filter requires a minimum of a 30 gallon barrel that has the height necessary to have the swirl chamber in the bottom, room for the fencing or tubes for the aerobic bacteria colony and that height also allows gravity to work for you on solids that are in solution.

When you go with a lower container then you cannot do it without filter media. Personally I don't want the expense or trouble that comes with cleaning these.

Ask a Question