Minimum height of bog over pond level?

Reaction score
I want to install a bog to my pond, and read about the construction and size requirements. I understand that ideally it would be 12" deep, but my question is does every bit of the bog need to be higher than the pond level? Would it operate if say it was 6" below and 6" above the pond level. Assume that there will be a sort of 'hump' where bog meets pond, perhaps with one or two "holes in the dam".

Sorry if this is not making sense. Whilst I'm getting a professional pond firm to do the work, I'm in the UK and bogs aren't common, and he's said they've never been requested to install a bog filter before! So I want to know what i need doing so that when we're both working it out on the day I can avoid any game-over pitfalls.

ETA: Ok, so most of the bogs I had read about had a waterfall back into the pond, which made me think they were in general higher than pond, but now I've seen pictures where its all the same level, and you rely on the fact that as water is being pumped into the bog area it naturally causes a flow back over the retaining wall into the main pond area. So dont need a 'drop' for gravity to work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Hi. I added a bog to my pond a year ago and it's working great. Mine is 14" deep, 8" below grade and 6" above, so the return flow is slow over the retaining wall into the pond. The sound of a waterfall with rushing water is more than I like to hear, and I provide aeration another way, not via the waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
A foot above water is ideal IMO. It will allow the waterfall to form well and the fish will have trouble jumping to it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Would it operate if say it was 6" below and 6" above the pond
The bog can be flush with the pond if you wanted that look. As the water is pumped to the bottom of the bog as more is pumped in it will be forced out so if they are the same the force of the pump will push it into the pond.

Now the one of the biggest benefits imo is the water fall. your using a pump to push water to the bottom of the bog if it's 6" or 30" the water will rise and over flow at the lowest point. The creation of water falls are imo is indispensable. they are mesmerizing visually. Nothing is more southing than the sound of one, while at the same time they oxygenate , and remove co2 and other gases from the water.

teckpham

Teck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I have both. The older pond have water falls for the soft background noise. The new one is same level.

20220116_195314.jpg

20220418_152532.jpg

Ask a Question