Minnows-and shubunkins

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
My new pond will be ready for fish in a few weeks. Wondering if there is some benefit for having minnows with shubunkins. My pond is about 1500 gallons.

Attachments

• 9068FBAB-A572-429D-96A1-BEC762904530.jpeg
    9068FBAB-A572-429D-96A1-BEC762904530.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 482
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It’s a matter of preference as far as I know. Others may know more, as I’m no expert, but as shubinkin are goldfish, they will reproduce like crazy, giving the variety of size and activity throughout the water column that others might add minnows for. If you do add minnows, be sure to quarantine them, especially wild caught or bait shop specials.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have shubinkin, love them, so pretty. Funnily i have never had any fry. I also have lots of sticklebacks so maybe they eat the fry!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We get fry. We have enough plant matter the eggs survive.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with what was already said. No benefit to minnows with shubunkins, just personal preference.

One of my ponds has native minnows and shubunkins in it, for me it added a little interest, along with the turtles the pond was built to house. The native minnows ( dace and Johnny darters) both have reproduced in the pond, even saw a darter up in the bog this spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Looks like I will pass on the minnows for now and see how shubunkins do. Pond has been full of water with pump running for almost 2 weeks. Weather here is still chilly so bog plants have not started growing. The water remains clear though I expect the green phase to start when I add 6 shubunkins in about a week. Hoping to get some growth on the water Lillies by then too. They are still in their original net bags so will need to be placed in the oil pan setup everyone recommends. Can hardly wait to get life started. Enjoying waterfall sounds for now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Thanks, I still have lots to do to get it looking like I dreamed but it will all come together sometime. Word is spreading in the neighborhood I have a fish pond and some are asking to donate their koi, oscars and cichlids that have outgrown their aquariums! Glad i have a fence else I fear they may just drop them off uninvited.

Last edited:

Ask a Question