Mint for bogs...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
So what kind of mint grows in bogs well? My mints didn't do well in the water. Maybe I needed bigger ones. Anyone with a link I can use to buy mint from for a bog?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't think there's a mint that's NOT invasive!

There are a few types of aquatic mint that I've seen for sale. No recommendations from me though as I avoid growing any kind of mint after a few bad outcomes!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have it growing in the bog, when it gets too big I yank. This time of year it is left alone, it is blooming wonderfully and the bees love it.
I also have a different type of mint, bird deposit, which grows tall. The bog mint stays shorter.

It does spread, if it is where I don't want it just yank, I have not had a issue controlling it. Love the smell when you mow if it got out into the grass. I have had it growing for around 5 years now, it has not taken over.

If you want some I could send you some.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a "standard" type mint growing in the turtle habitat. Don't know what it's called. It's invasive, but easily controlled. If supported, it grows tall, as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
one thing for mint though, they are invasive but they are also easy to yank out. I have chocolate mint in mine and i yank them out once in a while and they smell delicious when i did ;)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had aquatic mint in my bog, but it started spreading more than I wanted it to, so I started removing it whenever I saw it pop up. That was in Summer of last year and I still find it now and then.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I have it growing in the bog, when it gets too big I yank. This time of year it is left alone, it is blooming wonderfully and the bees love it.
I also have a different type of mint, bird deposit, which grows tall. The bog mint stays shorter.
It does spread, if it is where I don't want it just yank, I have not had a issue controlling it. Love the smell when you mow if it got out into the grass. I have had it growing for around 5 years now, it has not taken over.
If you want some I could send you some.
You're not too far away from me Addy, I may take you up on that. I don't get why mine failed though. May i should have used a rod for them to stay erect.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You're not too far away from me Addy, I may take you up on that. I don't get why mine failed though. May i should have used a rod for them to stay erect.
I don't support it at all. The bird deposit mint grew from one stem, thick stem like a rose bush with a lot of branches. I am saving seed to spread it in my gardens. Around 3 foot tall. The bog mint stands about a foot tall by itself. Light purple flowers. It is in shade and sun, both do well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My aquatic mint grows in floating pots and the water fall where it's easy to control.

Smells great.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Bought some chocolate mints (I know I know invasive I know)..... I hope it survives. I'm not optimistic after losing 5 of of the 9 plant types I had in the bog last summer.

Ask a Question