Minus one pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I have a question concerning one of my ponds. As some have seen from my previous thread I have a large 2600 gal koi pond and a small shallow comet pond.

I'm currently cleaning the new house up and noticed a leak happening in the comet pond liner. I've been trying for weeks to find it but no luck. I was thinking of removing this small one anyway since it's located at my front door blocking a path toward my entrance. So my questions are..

Can the red and white comets live with koi? There's probably about 8 of them residing. I know they are of the same family of carp but would they compete with food and space?

Also I've been warned about how quickly fish can spawn but I haven't seen any baby fish, or young ones since moved in.

How should I tackle this situation?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have koi goldfish and shubbies and fantails all together with no problems .Are they all close to the same size .During spawning the goldfish are the worst chasers and they are way smaller than my koi

Attachments

• eggplant pond and mulch 028.JPG
    eggplant pond and mulch 028.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 201
  • eggplant pond and mulch 029.JPG
    eggplant pond and mulch 029.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 238
  • eggplant pond and mulch 030.JPG
    eggplant pond and mulch 030.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 217

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Goldfish (comets) and koi can live together, but any additional fish you add to the koi pond can push your filtration beyond its capacity -- and it doesn't take much sometimes.

How many goldfish are you talking about, and how big are they?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
The comets are like 5 inches or so. I have less than 10 fish. Probably 8, they keep confusing me! The koi are well over 12 inches long. I'm currently running a tetrapond bio filter fit for 4,000 gal in a 2600 pond for the size of the koi. I'm mostly worried about the comets over spawning and me scooping them out.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it's a concern for you, then I would follow my gut and re-home the goldfish. The koi are going to grow, and you will end up with babies: koi, goldfish, or a mix (hybrids) (if the eggs & fry don't turn into snacks). Just my thoughts. I like to keep things simple.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
If it's a concern for you, then I would follow my gut and re-home the goldfish. The koi are going to grow, and you will end up with babies: koi, goldfish, or a mix (hybrids) (if the eggs & fry don't turn into snacks). Just my thoughts. I like to keep things simple.
Yea I think the comets are nice but the koi seem to be more my choice to keep between two ponds. I was just hoping I can figure a way to keep them all. Raising 2 ponds is too much for me right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
Just a thought, do those plastic molded ponds you find at lowes last through winter without cracking?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just a thought, do those plastic molded ponds you find at lowes last through winter without cracking?
Mine survived for 5 winters, cracked with the last winter. -10 or -15 darn cold, froze solid

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could always buy a pvc liner lowes has them for around 39 dollars .I have one and it has been OK for 11 years and last year I cut it and one part went in my lotus lily pond and other 2 pieces went under my filters .Has not cracked yet .Been moved more times than I can count .

Ask a Question