MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My water lettuce is getting pale with brown tips. I read it could be from too much sun or too few nutrients. Since it is shaded a good part of the day, I'm guessing not enough nutrients.

I want to give it a boost with Miracle-Gro. How much do I use, and how long do I let it sit in the solution?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can just use miracle grow organic potting soil IN the actual pond. Miracle grow (regular) you would need to use out of the pond. How much; really doesnt matter imo. If in pond (organic) than 1 to 2 inches thick.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use 1 teaspoon to 5 gallons of water in the soak tank and leave it for a week until I see results .Water lettuce can't take heat
pics on durecell back up 1039.JPG
as well as water hyacinth

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My water lettuce is getting pale with brown tips. I read it could be from too much sun or too few nutrients. Since it is shaded a good part of the day, I'm guessing not enough nutrients.

I want to give it a boost with Miracle-Gro. How much do I use, and how long do I let it sit in the solution?

@sissy can advise on application rates in a separate container. I would beware of using any potting soil in the pond, especially if you have Koi.

Here is the ingredients of Miracle Gro Organic Potting mix--
"Contains a blend of sphagnum peat moss, composted bark fines and natural fertilizer to help container vegetables, fruits, flowers, herbs and plants thrive."

Highlighted ingredients, If disturbed, can quickly reduce water clarity and add just more unnecessary organic matter to a pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I even noticed some of the soil that says it is for pond plants does not hold up .I use kitty litter with some crushed oyster shells ,calcium is great for plants and it loosen up the hardness of the kitty litter .It sometimes depends on the plant you get but if it is root bound it may need more cleaning than normal I usually use 4 tablespoons of peroxide in 5 gallons and then after roots are really clean then they go in a bucket of a tablespoon or 2 of miracle grow and let sit if any thing floats after 2 or 3 days the reclean them .I never chance anything .I have seen people that just throw a plant in and then fish get sick and they can't understand why .I don't chance anything .I even tell people I give plants to clean them .The you never know

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So, 2-3 days, sissy? I started it yesterday afternoon in a 5 gallon bucket about 3 gallons full, and I put in about 1 1/2 tablespoons of Miracle-Gro. Yes, I know the plant, especially the roots, need a thorough cleaning with fresh water before being returned to the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It all depends on the plant size and roots .If it is root bound and a bigger plant then maybe longer and small plant and loose roots less .But water lettuce and water hyacinth can be left in miracle-gro for lots longer and sick plants can be left in longer .The condition of the plant counts .I buy half dead plants from lowes dirt cheap and they liven up after a good root cleaning and repotting and a little love .

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@sissy can advise on application rates in a separate container. I would beware of using any potting soil in the pond, especially if you have Koi.

Here is the ingredients of Miracle Gro Organic Potting mix--
"Contains a blend of sphagnum peat moss, composted bark fines and natural fertilizer to help container vegetables, fruits, flowers, herbs and plants thrive."

Highlighted ingredients, If disturbed, can quickly reduce water clarity and add just more unnecessary organic matter to a pond.
Mgops is commonly used in the aquascaping hobby alongside ponds themselves, i didnt know water clarity was being taken into consoderation here but it is best capped with something.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Mgops is commonly used in the aquascaping hobby alongside ponds themselves, i didnt know water clarity was being taken into consoderation here but it is best capped with something.

A layer of gravel on top will help, but not if one has Koi as they will root past the gravel. Why take the chance when it is not needed?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks, sissy, The two plants I want to re-energize are my water lettuce and my water hyacinth, both floaters.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My koi destroy everything and kill frogs .I have not seen a well behave koi that are young .I think as they get older they slow down but still like to destroy things when they get inclined to do so .

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My koi destroy everything and kill frogs .I have not seen a well behave koi that are young .I think as they get older they slow down but still like to destroy things when they get inclined to do so .

I only have sarassa goldfish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wish I nly had fat fantails I love the butt wiggle they do to swim and the way they swim into my hand for a belly rub .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am so over Miracle-Gro anything - Miracle-Gro is made by Scotts and Scotts is in bed with Monsanto. Not a fan. Does anyone know of an organic alternative? I wonder if they would green up in a bucket of compost tea? Or grass clipping tea?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
They probably would benefit from a solution of any type of organic fertilizer, but it would probably take longer and not be as dramatic. I was thinking of using the organic fertilizer I use for my vegetables, but I had a box of Miracle-Gro in my shed I bought over a dozen years ago and never used.

Ask a Question