Miracle-Gro...how much, how long

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah - same here. I used to buy it by the case. I used up what I had - too cheap not to! - but I won't buy anything Miracle-Gro.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can but a department here type miracle gro and roses .Even walmart sells there own brand .I just say miracle gro because people know the name .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
2.50 cents end of season sale I buy at least 4 of them
101_1060.JPG
101_1062.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My koi destroy everything and kill frogs .I have not seen a well behave koi that are young .I think as they get older they slow down but still like to destroy things when they get inclined to do so .

My one koi in my pond is making his best effort to stand up to your expectation of poor behavior towards plants. I gave up on lilies. Water hornwort has survived though.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Reason I built a lily pond next to my pond but the last 2 years I have been able to keep plants in my pond .I guess when koi get over 10 years old the grow up and give up on the teenage destruction ;)

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, today was 3 days I had my mother water lettuce and her offspring in the 3 gallons of water with 1 1/2 tablespoons of Miracle-Gro. When I looked in the bucket today, I was surprised to see they actually looked worse than when I put them in the solution. I picked up the mother, and all her roots were gone...like they had melted away. They weren't even in the bottom of the bucket; just gone! Most of the offshoot babies were in the same condition. I took a few of the babies that had a few roots and put them back in my pond...hoping they will come back.

What could have caused the roots to disappear? I followed the "Instructions".....1 1/2 tablespoons of Miracle-Gro in a bucket of water for 3 days...????

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not sure how fish owners feel. Alaska fish emulsion is organic, I have same bottle going on 3rd year. Small amount goes a long way in garden.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well, today was 3 days I had my mother water lettuce and her offspring in the 3 gallons of water with 1 1/2 tablespoons of Miracle-Gro. When I looked in the bucket today, I was surprised to see they actually looked worse than when I put them in the solution. I picked up the mother, and all her roots were gone...like they had melted away. They weren't even in the bottom of the bucket; just gone! Most of the offshoot babies were in the same condition. I took a few of the babies that had a few roots and put them back in my pond...hoping they will come back.

What could have caused the roots to disappear? I followed the "Instructions".....1 1/2 tablespoons of Miracle-Gro in a bucket of water for 3 days...????

I would say that you probably used a too strong dilution rate and maybe the wrong nutrient formula also. @sissy used a weaker solution (1 teaspoon to 5 gallons and a high Nitrogen low Phosphorus formula (24-8-16). Too strong of any fertilizer application. whether used on terrestrial or aquatic plants, will 'burn' the roots.

If you used the true Miracle Gro, there may be a difference in the formulation from the store brand that @sissy uses.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
a bucket of a tablespoon or 2 of miracle grow and let sit if any thing floats after 2 or 3 days the reclean them .

I would say that you probably used a too strong dilution rate and maybe the wrong nutrient formula also. @sissy used a weaker solution (1 teaspoon to 5 gallons and a high Nitrogen low Phosphorus formula (24-8-16). Too strong of any fertilizer application. whether used on terrestrial or aquatic plants, will 'burn' the roots.

If you used the true Miracle Gro, there may be a difference in the formulation from the store brand that @sissy uses.

No, @Meyer Jordan . As you can see from the top quote of sissy's, she just said "a tablespoon or 2 of miracle grow"...no nutrient formula specified. I used...a bucket with 3 gallons of water and 1 1/2 tablespoons of Miracle-Gro as she specified. I had regular run-of-the-mill Miracle-Gro. Wish she had specified the nutrient formula if that was critical. It cost me my water lettuce. Very disappointed. I salvaged a few of the babies that still had a few roots. Hopefully, they will regenerate back in my pond.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No, @Meyer Jordan . As you can see from the top quote of sissy's, she just said "a tablespoon or 2 of miracle grow". That's what I used...a bucket with 3 gallons of water and 1 1/2 tablespoons of regular Miracle-Gro.

Post #3 of this thread.

"I use 1 teaspoon to 5 gallons of water in the soak tank and leave it for a week until I see results "
Almost a 35% less dilution rate, if teaspoons are used in both applications. If tablespoon is used in 3 gallons as opposed to a teaspoon in 5 gallons, This dilution rate drops to less than 10%, so, in effect, you used a dosage about 10 times (or more) stronger than which 'burned' the roots.

I can see where the confusion arises. @sissy needs to clarify whether the unit of measure it tsp or tbsp.

Last edited:

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Post #3 of this thread.

"I use 1 teaspoon to 5 gallons of water in the soak tank and leave it for a week until I see results "
Almost a 35% less dilution rate, if teaspoons are used in both applications. If tablespoon is used in 3 gallons as opposed to a teaspoon in 5 gallons, This dilution rate drops to less than 10%, so, in effect, you used a dosage about 10 times (or more) stronger than which 'burned' the roots.

Post #5 of this thread from sissy:

"a tablespoon or 2 of miracle grow".

But, I see what you are saying...I most likely burned the roots. Sometimes sissy is hard to follow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh dear, sorry this happened. Hopefully they'll regenerate a bit in your pond, or even try a bucket of your pond water, if you fear your fish nibbling on the plants.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This from the Scott's website-

"For All Flowers and Vegetables: Use 1 gallon for every 10 square feet of flowers and vegetables, every 7 to 14 days.

For Roses: Use 1/2 gallon for small bushes. Use 1 gallon for large bushes. Feed every 7 to 14 days.

For indoor plants, mix 1/2 teaspoon (not tablespoon) per gallon of water. Apply every 2 weeks. We do not recommend foliar (leaf) feeding for houseplants"

Note bold print. Since houseplants are not free-draining like outdoor plants, this would be the closest approximation to feeding aquatic plants which, of course. are also not free draining..

Ask a Question