Misinformation — Bog filtration. Grrrrr......!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Someone posted a question in a FaceBook group (don’t recall if it was specifically for koi or for water gardens in general....). They have a stock tank and wanted to know about turning it into bog filter.....

This was an answer...

9C2E3259-642F-4D4C-B233-EE8CCACD10F5.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Set 'em straight (if you're into arguing with people on FB)!
:unsure:I am all for stating my opinions (and I am always inviting people to come join GPF), but I draw the line here. It’s a wasted cause in this case, and these folks could never be happy without all their essential equipment, sooo......:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, like my Mom used to say...
"It's like talking to a wall".

It's amazing how an old saying like that is still prevalent in this digital world. In fact it's more prevalent in my opinion since you can't hold a legitimate debate with someone who hides behind their computer or phone.

Invite that OP to our world, if you can.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm going to guess that person doesn't have much or any experience with bogs.

Eighth year for my bog. It has worked fantastically thus far. I've said before, I enjoy it as much as my pond. Love seeing the birds and chipmunks make use of it, as well as all of the colorful natives I've planted in it.

Reaction score
Playing devils advocate for a second, a lot of those specialized forums do have mostly above ground, special made, ponds that are clean bottom, no plants etc. for the fish (typically koi)
There are some that have more pond like structures, in ground with some above. But again, they typically dont have plants in them.
For those two groups, a bog is not a thought - not easy to do with their setup.

I have an in ground concrete pond which is slightly above ground also. I have had pressure filters and the all in ones that were submerged.
Found that they can't keep up. Not when i had more koi and even now when i have less koi.
Have thought about using the sand/gravel barrel - i can see the benefits for those who have limited space to put a bog. But it alone can't do the job - you still need additional bio filtration of some kind.
I have limited space around my pond and my waterfall is elevated about 4ft above the water surface... with a lot of concrete surface/rocks around it... not easy to put a bog.
But, i am going to try a relatively small above ground bog style filter overflowing back to a secondary smaller waterfall / spillway, to add filtration to my setup.

I guess what i am saying, is that you have to keep an open mind...

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The pond we just downgraded was an above ground wood framed.10x10x5.5 with too many koi. Had 2 filters running, no plants. Added 10 window box bogs on sides. That got my water clear. Added 100 gallon stock tank bog, removed 1 filter. It can be done but don't recommend above ground wood pond!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@jmajid Oh, we do keep open minds on here, and we acknowledge that people have their own needs when it comes to ponds. There is no right or wrong....only different. Maybe what the person in that FB post could have said was something like, “Bogs have their place, but they are different from what we [DKP people] subscribe to.” If I recall the OP on that post, he or she didn’t have a DKP (dedicated koi pond), but was simply asking about a way to utilize a couple of stock tanks they had....and was considering a bog set-up. In a situation like that, I would have first explored with the OP what their goals were with their pond — and presented them with options. It’s the politics of not looking at all sides that bothers me! We try to encourage bog filtration (duh, Garden Pond Forum), but we don’t say it’s the only way to go.

Reaction score
@jmajid Oh, we do keep open minds on here, and we acknowledge that people have their own needs when it comes to ponds. There is no right or wrong....only different. Maybe what the person in that FB post could have said was something like, “Bogs have their place, but they are different from what we [DKP people] subscribe to.” If I recall the OP on that post, he or she didn’t have a DKP (dedicated koi pond), but was simply asking about a way to utilize a couple of stock tanks they had....and was considering a bog set-up. In a situation like that, I would have first explored with the OP what their goals were with their pond — and presented them with options. It’s the politics of not looking at all sides that bothers me! We try to encourage bog filtration (duh, Garden Pond Forum), but we don’t say it’s the only way to go.

Oh :) sorry - i should have been more clear with my last sentence.... the open mind is for everyone - was not meant just for GPF members/visitors... I didnt even know about bogs, then kept looking and reading, then didnt think i could manage to do one, now im going to build one...albeit a DIY/above ground one....
I agree with you - thats the mindset everyone should have - dont dismiss, just because it may not apply to you or you think you cant do it on your pond, you may not know how now, but keep it in mind and you can probably find a way...

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So much bad info out there. I was on Craigslist this morning. Someone had some really nice looking small koi for sale, 4-6". Posted 10 gallons per inch of fish! So these can go in a 55 gallon aquarium?????

Ask a Question