Misinformation

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like to make this a place for any or all misinformation that you all my know.

plants. plants in a pond you need to have plants in a pond.

No you really don’t. A pond is nothing more then a big fish tank.
Ive been keeping fish for 30+years. I’ve kept fish in planted tanks non planted tanks. Tanks with specialized lighting. Tanks with a regular light bulb. Bare bottom tanks to full reef tanks.

now I’m not saying plants don’t help. But I am saying they are not necessary.
It’s the bacteria the good beneficial bacteria that Creates the nitrogen process.
This bacteria lives in everything. Sponges, filter pads, gravel, etc. which is why if mechanical filtration is the right size. For your bio load. Plants are unnecessary.
you can’t have a pond/tank with just plants. But you can have a pond/tank without them. As long as your mechanical filters have enough surface for right amount of bacteria to grow per your fish/ waist load

But let’s face it we all overstock our ponds/tanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Scrubbing filters and pond clean.
coming from a fish keeper. This is something you don’t want to do.

I have kept many heavily stocked tanks with just hang on sponge filters.

I mean to a point. you don’t want to clean everything Sterilized. You want to leave that slime inside the skimmer you don’t want to scrub your sponges or filter floss. All that gunk is good that is we’re the bacteria live. You clean it you kill it.

don’t get me wrong you want to clean the heavy debris. leaves, sticks and stuff like that. That my clog the pump, sponges, or floss. But the nice Slimy gunk keep it

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
joe has made some good points, im gonna add my .02 ...i do mine a little different , no much but a little . i keep 2 bags in my bio filters [ each with 10 gal bio balls ].when i clean them i put one in a tub with pond water so no to loose the bacteria.i do rinse it by shaking it around some to remove gunk.it stays there while the inside the tub. the other bag of bio. balls and the mats are hosed . then i put the bacteria bag on the bottom, my water comes from the bottom up. then i replace everything and turn it back on . reason for this i want the oxygen to feed the bacteria . i dont want taken from algae. we all know that as soon as tap water hits the bacteria it killed off. but he make some good points. however, i do keep a tub100.gal with just plants[ floaters] it can be done all you need to do is add a liquid fertilizer and oxygen and they will thrive . i do believe that most on here do not realize the importance of oxygen in the water and how it affect the fish& fish health, plants ,bacteria..and disease... i will post this soon.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nope don't need plants, can run via filters. You can have a naked pond with just fish, not my choice.

I choose to run mine with plants / bog filter with plants, no other types of filters. I have never cleaned the pond or bog in the 9 years it has been running.

Every pond is different, every pond owner makes the choice on how to run theirs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used to write a magazine aquatic plant column where readers would ask questions about aquarium and often, pond plants. Looking back, I have a bunch: Here is one: Java fern 'must' be attached to a rock or piece of wood in order to thrive. Buzzer, wrong...should we try for double Jeopardy?! :) By the way, Java fern is a very nice pond plant too. Grows beautifully emersed. You will get old time pond keepers asking, "Whoa, what is that?!"

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used to write a magazine aquatic plant column where readers would ask questions about aquarium and often, pond plants. Looking back, I have a bunch: Here is one: Java fern 'must' be attached to a rock or piece of wood in order to thrive. Buzzer, wrong...should we try for double Jeopardy?! :) By the way, Java fern is a very nice pond plant too. Grows beautifully emersed. You will get old time pond keepers asking, "Whoa, what is that?!"

Java fern in indoor fish tanks or aquariums we planted them fully submerged.

Lol I just realized you said the same thing.

I find it Funny how there’s some people on here saying that fish tanks and out door ponds are completely different yet you can have all the same plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Indoor tanks/pond and out door ponds are not the same.

well this isn’t exactly wrong. Because with a pond you have mother nature involved. And being indoor you don’t. Or at least not as much. For instance

Sun light is still an issue.

mostly all the same plants that you can have in an outdoor pond you can grow in an indoor system.

nitrogen cycle is still the same.

Good denitrifying Bacteria‘s are the same.

most fish care and fish are the same.
I’ve even seen outdoor saltwater systems.

water is the same. Granted certain fish need certain types of water parameters.

algae green hair, string, to slime algae. (which Isn’t algae at all it’s actually cyanobacteria)

Fish fungus is are the same.

Fish parasites are the same

Fish diseases are the same

oxygen co2 gas exchange processes are the same.

most plants in outside systems are able to be used indoor also.

all of this and I’m sure more Im not thinking of is the sam. in any system. Indoor, outdoor, fresh, salt reef, salt fish only.

One difference that I know of between indoor and outdoor systems. is that with an indoor system CO2 can build up inside the house itself. Which can cause unstable pH.
just from having windows in the house closed and pets home breathing CO2 in the air.
Had a friend’s reef tank completely crash because of this. we Ran a tube outside his window to pull in fresh air into the protein skimmer to combat the build up of co2 in the house. Stabilizing the ph

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Indoor aquariums and outdoor ponds are the same. Maybe so, except in one big way indoor tanks are in a controlled environment outdoor ponds are not.
( just giving Joejoe a hard time)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Indoor aquariums and outdoor ponds are the same. Maybe so, except in one big way indoor tanks are in a controlled environment outdoor ponds are not.
( just giving Joejoe a hard time)

hey I already said that:p:ROFLMAO:

crap that was a different post

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Cant keep koi with plants. Not completely misinformation....but it can be done.

You can’t put rock in the bottom of your pond.

Ask a Question