Missing fish reappearing after two weeks

Reaction score
Hi: We have not seen one of our Shubunkins "Ladybug" for the past two weeks. Our pond is 2400 gals and there are a lot of places to hide including the rock wall below the waterfall that has small openings. We just assumed after several days and no sign of her that a raccoon got it. There are some hanging around the side yard etc. Anyway tonight at feeding time there she was along with the other 50 or so goldfish at the top of the water gulping down the chow. How in the world could she disappear, and the pond water is pretty clear, for TWO WEEKS and then reappear. She does look a lot slimmer as well. My wife thinks it is nothing short of a miracle as it was her favorite and it was like a member of the family dying. She actually thought I went out and bought another Shubunkin that looked like 'Ladybug' . Has anyone else had one of their fish disappear for that long of a time and show up. We wonder if she was hanging out somewhere having babies as well. Thanks

Reaction score
Well the babies idea is out. They are egg layers. When she goes to lay the eggs there will be many males chasing her around pushing the eggs out.
Does she looked roughed up or have any red spots on her? She may have got stuck somewhere. I had that happen to one and luckily found her as I drained the pond. Luckily I found her stuck under a potted lily.
She might have been spooked by a predator. Or even a little wounded and when deep to heal for awhile. As I suggested in another thread, Fall is coming on quickly. A net is always good for keeping the leaves out. If there is a chance you have a predator, put it on a little early and keep them safe.
Any way it goes, fish can be very hard to figure out. You can watch a cat or dog and get to know their every action. With fish you just never know.

Reaction score
Hi RSFish1: Our Ladybug doesn't look the worse for wear other then shedding some pounds. She could have been stuck somewhere under the many crevices and rocks in the pond and managed to eat any food that floated by etc then slimmed down enough to slip back out. Who knows. She sure stood out with her unique Ladybug colors that you could not miss her & after a couple weeks missing we surely never expected her to show up. But we will cover pond with some black fruit tree netting we have around anyway to discourage and predators. Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bobsox said:
Thanks Addy1: My wife also heard back from someone on another forum that he had one of his fish reappear after not being seen for two months. Can you imagine.

No lol, they must be able to hide well. We are going to finally put some fish in our pond. Feeders and maybe graduate to shubunkins eventually. I don't want anything I will worry too much about when critters come around. Need some fish poop for lilies.

We still don't have the pump up and running, just using a little trickle feed pump to flow water into the bog.

We do have frogs! one in each little pond on the stream, they must not share well, have not seen any in the big pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi: We have not seen one of our Shubunkins "Ladybug" for the past two weeks. Our pond is 2400 gals and there are a lot of places to hide including the rock wall below the waterfall that has small openings. We just assumed after several days and no sign of her that a raccoon got it. There are some hanging around the side yard etc. Anyway tonight at feeding time there she was along with the other 50 or so goldfish at the top of the water gulping down the chow. How in the world could she disappear, and the pond water is pretty clear, for TWO WEEKS and then reappear. She does look a lot slimmer as well. My wife thinks it is nothing short of a miracle as it was her favorite and it was like a member of the family dying. She actually thought I went out and bought another Shubunkin that looked like 'Ladybug' . Has anyone else had one of their fish disappear for that long of a time and show up. We wonder if she was hanging out somewhere having babies as well. Thanks
Your post encouraged us to keep looking for our favorite little fish. We think that our little Houdini got stuck behind/near our new filter. My husband went out and moved some things around and out came Houdini! Our fish was gone for over a week….we are so happy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi, @Martygirl! This is a very old thread. Why not go over to our “introductions” topic and tell us about yourself and your pond.
tsk tsk tsk; got a PERFECT chance to use your new lil anigif and what happens? Ya go all text-y on the poster!!! NEXT TIME...!!!!!!

heh heh

CW moans about having GB on his shoulders, I gotta wonder whatcha all think of ME!!!

okay, crawling back under my rock...
smilie sword twirl.gif

Ask a Question