Missing fish when to introduce new ones

Jhc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. This is our first pond. It’s only small, 1m x 1.5m and 70cm deep. We finished construction in October and introduced our first fish 4 weeks ago. We just had 4 shubunkins. We had the water quality tested beforehand and made sure everything was right for them. After a few days of hiding they started to come up for food and going under the running water of the waterfall. then A few days ago we noticed they weren’t coming out of hiding again. It had been really cold so put it down to that but then We noticed what looked like scales on the lining by the waterfall. We had a good look in the pond and we can only find 3 fish! We checked everywhere and made sure there was no where one could have got stucK! We are pretty sure one has been taken, by what no idea. We have purchased a net for the future.

The remaining 3 fish have been in hiding for 5 days, I’m sure they come up and have a bit of food as it does seem to be going. Should we continue To leave them alone for longer and when would it be appropriate to introduce a new fish?

thanks for any advice

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The fish will eventually come back out, this is typical behavior after a predator of some type comes around.

As for adding new fish, I would wait until the net is added, otherwise you are just buying fish to feed another animal. When putting the net over the pond lift up at least a foot or so above the water, then let the sides drape to the ground. This is to prevent herons from stabbing fish through the net,

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1620580999228.gif
@Jhc
Yep I'd wait till you get that net up and tested to see if any ways the critters can still get in there. I had to put a short wire fence around my pond w/the net up about 4ft attached firmly to the net and then I had to add extra wire to the fence holes to keep smaller critters out. Amazing how such a big bird can squeeze through narrow places! Then had to put short flat boards w/ tacks sticking up for the raccoons so they would not try to get in either. It's Fort Knox now! Well unless a bear comes along, then I'm done!

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 138833@Jhc
Yep I'd wait till you get that net up and tested to see if any ways the critters can still get in there. I had to put a short wire fence around my pond w/the net up about 4ft attached firmly to the net and then I had to add extra wire to the fence holes to keep smaller critters out. Amazing how such a big bird can squeeze through narrow places! Then had to put short flat boards w/ tacks sticking up for the raccoons so they would not try to get in either. It's Fort Knox now! Well unless a bear comes along, then I'm done!
I’m thinking if you have to put up nets and blockades it’s going to make the pond un attractive to you. That sucks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Tat2man his post is 2 years old , but agreed i would not enjoy looking through a net either.

Reaction score
Country
United States
JHC, if the predator(s) continue to visit your pond, your fish will stay hidden for a long time. In my case, when the predator nabbed several of my koi, the rest decided to hide and didn't show themselves for about 3-months. :(

Attachments

• Bird.JPG
    Bird.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 4

Ask a Question