MISSING GOLDFISH -- ALIEN ABDUCTIONS?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We seem to have some goldfish missing..... My first thought was predators, and I know it's possible, but just not convinced about that. I am not seeing any little bodies anywere, which does point to preds. Well, not true, I did find one little body the other day, but that's it.

I went a week or two without paying too much attention to them [except for feeding, water checks, etc.], then suddenly realized that I hadn't seen one of my "buddies" in a while [the most friendly one in the pond]. Then realized that the overall # was down. Hmmm.

The only recent "event" was preparing for H. Isaac, but we didn't get enough rain to effect the water level [so no fish-over flow].

So if it's not predators, there are no bodies, and everyone else seems healthy........ Any ideas?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
HERON! Come in VERY early in the morning, they don't leave a trace that they have visited, and of course, the friendliest fish is usually the first to get nabbed. Oh and BTW, since the storm, I have noticed more visits by them at the big pond than before the storm. The storm may have pushed some further north since the lower part of the state is not in good shape right now with all the Yuck that is down there.
Watched the news last night and saw a good friend of mine trying to get back in his home. Called him and he told me that the smell is so bad in lower Plaqumines Parish that if the winds are right you can smell the sickening smell all the way up in the city of N.O. Lots of decaying animals, rotting "stuff" still no power, and supplies and support are still very limited down there.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, yuck! As if trying to rebuild your life & city wasn't bad enough, to have to put up with the smell.... Hopefully once things get back to "normal," maybe they can do something to combat the decay.

Herons are always possible, but have NEVER seen one in the neighborhood area. There are plenty of other, larger, easier-to-see bodies of water surrounding us that would seem [to me] to be better targets for them. I guess if the southern birds were being forced up this way, though, anything's possible. We have Mississippi Kites that nest & cruise in this area, but they mainly eat insects -- small animals sometimes, but didn't see "fish" listed. No coons close, but we have an occas. opossum -- don't think they hunt fish, either....

I'll have to set myself up to watch for herons in the early mornings. What about other "crane" birds? We have the various egrets in the area, in fact, see more of them out than we do herons.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Kingfisher? Sits in a tree or edge of the roof, anything close by, and when the time is right, goodbye fishie! They prefer fish in the 5-6" size range, but will take smaller ones in a pinch.
John

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
kingfishers are always a possibility, Egrets, snowy cranes, green herons, blue herons, Ibis, Great Blue herons, and tricolor herons are all possible canidates. Most of these will only go after smaller fish but some of the herons will go after bigger ones if they are easy to catch.
As for opossums, I didn't think they HUNTED either, but one of the pond stores in our area says they have a video of one getting fish out of their pond, they used live traps and removed three. After the three were removed no more missing fish. This was in a completely fenced in court yard and the owner says he was missing fish for two or three weeks before moving the camera on the pond. he was suspecting kids stealing them, or some type of heron. Was EXTREMELY surprised to see it was a Opossum. He didn't think they were much of a threat either. So maybe?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My brother-in-law lives a few miles from us. They had something getting into and upsetting their hummingbird feeders at night. Set out a live-trap and caught a 'possum -- last thing they expected. This was just a week ago.

I think opossums are opportunists -- omnivores that go the easy route [carrion], but can & will go after insects & very small animals [baby turtles!]. I've never heard of them going after fish, though. There used to be one that "camped out" in the old turtle habitat may years ago.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I knew a person some years ago who caught a possum in the act of catching his goldfish.
John

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure what size fish are disapearing but we have our ponds netted and a 3 1/2 inch new koi disapeared the day after we put him in the pond. Cute little copper colored gin rin. We have a large bullfrog in the pond we couldn't get out before the netting went up so I'm guessing he snacked on my new fish. Hubby keeps saying the little guy is hiding but its been over a week.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am waiting for cold weather, then I am going to net the bottom of the pond(s) the bull frogs nicely just lay there for the taking and the tads. I found an id chart to tell what tad is what. They will be relocated to the river.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TM, we went out today and were sitting talking and I started looking for a paticular fish. I couldn't find it, Then the wife ask about another. Both are goldfish and both older fish. neither did we ever spot. Now I'm getting worried. Guess I need to get my netting untangled from Issac and laid back over the pond. All my cane got broken and I don't have anymore to pit it back like I had it before the storm. No, idea yet what got them, but set up my field camera to see if I could catch a shot tonight or in the morning.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Larkin, did you have any over flow problems during H. Isaac that could have washed some fish out? Have heard lots of weird stories about storms, though mostly regarding tornados, and how they will pick up and transport animals lilke fish, frogs.... Curious to learn if you catch anything [preds] on film. You mentioned that your "cane got broken." How did you have this set up?

Is it conceivable [in yours & my case] that fish just die but you never see a body? I know the other fish will snack on the unfortunate, but for several fish to disappear at the same time, just seems like you'd see SOME evidence floating around in the water......

Well, now that our immediate danger [weather from Isaac] is over, I can concentrate on making a decent net cover -- some leaves are starting to fall, so it's a good time. If we do have a bird [or opossum -- might get the live-trap set out just on the off chance], maybe the netting will help.

Ooops, just remembered we have a small live-trap [for rats -- not big enough for 'possums]. Guess a shopping trip is in order!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TM, No issues with over flow unless you count getting wet between the heavy bands and running out and opening valves to give the ponds some relief. they actually performed better than I expected. The fish I am missing are typical first catches by a bird. a Large Black oranda, and a Very long tailed Comet that always seemed to hang around the rocks by the bog. I suspect a bird got them. The nets have been off the pond since the storm. I had the nets hung well above the pond so I could actually walk under them. I hate having them right on the waterduring all the wind whipping it just mangled all the Bamboo that I had holding it up.

It's very possible one died and gets overlooked. Actually had that happen in the goldfish tank. I lost one and never found the body. I have pics the week before it was there, But No fish now and it has a full cover. I'm sure the baby koi and other goldfish eat most of the fish if it did die, Lucky for me it wasn't big enough to foul the water to bad.

Oh, and have you noticed, ISAAC isn't done yet! back in the gulf stirring up thunderstorms again. We got hammered by a quick moving thunderstorm yesterday. 1.2" of rain in 20 minutes! the good thing was, it was only a 20 minute event so no big deal. But I think it rained harder for that 20 minutes than any time during the actual Tropical storm.

tractor supply had 2 live traps for Opossum, racoon, etc on sale last week. I may need to go back and pick up a couple, just viewed the video card from the trail cam and nothing this morning or last night. will have to wait and see......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have a big problem with raccoons where I live, so I've had my pond netted 24/7 for years (unfortunately...). Last year fish kept disappearing, and no bodies were ever found. I do have a ton of wildlife around as my "backyard" is an 800 acre wildlife preserve - you name the critter, I got it! My husband and I couldn't figure out what could possibly be getting through the net and eating the fish. Well, one day while I was sitting next to the pond, the mystery animal appeared - it was a snake! He was slithering overtop of the rocks and floating plants. Snakes can easily go under a net, and YES, they do eat fish. Plenty of YouTube videos to prove this. Just as a note, mine was a gardener snake, not a water snake. Snakes will actually submerge their heads and go under water for a brief period to catch fish.

Reaction score
Opossums are def opportunist for sure, I just didnt think they would mess with water but maybe. I know I have to keep my chicken coop wrapped up tight or they will get in there and kill one before I can get out there and run them off. And we got raccoons the size of pit bulls here :huh: and mean suckers!

Ask a Question