Missing goldfish

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone. When I moved here six months ago there was a 8ft x 5ft x 18ins pond full of mosquito larvae so I bought 4 small gold fish, a shubnkin and 3 orange. They were very happy and heathy until I filled about 2 inches of it with water from the hose. I was devastated as they died within 2 hours. I used to own an aquarium and when I changed the water I used half original and half from the tap and the fish were fine but that was years ago in the UK and I think the levels of chlorine may be very high here. Anyhow many eggs hatched later and I've had 50 or 60 baby goldfish swimming around happily. They are about 3/4 an inch and very pretty. Then I noticed that at first my favorites started to disappear and then I noticed maybe only 15 or so when I went to feed them.
Yesterday morning I discovered the culprit. I was watching from window when a large spider ran across the pond and grabbed a fish. It dashed back to an iris and started eating. I couldn't believe it. I removed the spider from the pond and went back to remove the dead fish but that had disappeared too. I searched for another spider but couldn't find anything. I am feeling quite depressed about this now. Does anyone have any advice what I should do about this? Has anyone had fish eating spiders to contend with in their ponds?

Attachments

• IMG_9006.JPG
    IMG_9006.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 232

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It seems that this specie of spider (Fen Raft Spider) is quite common in the UK even though it is listed as endangered.
upload_2017-12-20_14-37-30.jpeg

Not sure what, if any, control measures can be implemented.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a lot of water spiders, they have not been able to put a large dent in the fish population, but then again my pond is large and deep.
I have seen them snacking on small fry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know I am going out on a “Limb” here, but we as humans are the top of the food chain....and we as humans enjoy ( I know there are millions of people that will not touch red meat, fish, dairy products and I commend you) very much all the above.....me included..... in my youth I hunted and fished, but about 30 years ago I quit.....I still eat meat but I prefer someone else has to do the deed....but the point of my post is we all complain about Herons, snakes, frogs, raccoons, Spiders .......getting our pond pets...but they are all trying to make a living , and the truth be known when we build our ponds with all the fish and plants , we are just providing them a Buffet.....that being said I don’t want to lose my fish.....but it is the nature of things.....Jimmy

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Now im totally creeped out.
I didnt know we had fish eating spiders.
I dont like spiders but if it can walk on water catch a fish drag it to shore and eat it...thats a bad a** spider!
I almost want to look up videos of that...but I dont like spiders.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It seems that this specie of spider (Fen Raft Spider) is quite common in the UK even though it is listed as endangered.
View attachment 107199

Not sure what, if any, control measures can be implemented.

Interestingly it looks very much like the ones I've got, only mine are in Qld Australia! I read an article yesterday which said they had been discovered last year! Which probably means they were here but nobody noticed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Did not know it either and a scary thought .Arachnophobia is starting to set in .:eek:
someone should notify Stephen King...oh wait, he already did one on that monster...IT must be the one terrorizing GPF lately...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I get spiders all around my pond, I loved to watch the big garden spiders. Oddly, spiders don’t bother me, and so long as the snake is on land, I’m good. Snake in the water, I’m out! Skunks are no problem, not even the spray except a direct hit. But possums creep me out. The big ugly rat! And armadillos can carry leprosie so yeah.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love looking at spiders, but so not touch my body! and if I run into a web.................brain freak out. There are always big ones in the pond I just keep a look out for them and shoo away when I am wading to groom lilies or other plants.
Snakes used to hand catch them, now just watch and love to see them.
Opossums, they visit constantly, eat up the dead bees outside of the hives.
Raccoons, always around
Skunks are welcome they dig up the yellow jacket nests and eat them.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love looking at spiders, but so not touch my body! and if I run into a web.................brain freak out. There are always big ones in the pond I just keep a look out for them and shoo away when I am wading to groom lilies or other plants.
Snakes used to hand catch them, now just watch and love to see them.
Opossums, they visit constantly, eat up the dead bees outside of the hives.
Raccoons, always around
Skunks are welcome they dig up the yellow jacket nests and eat them.
You have a beautiful outlook on nature. I agree with what you say but dont think I could do what you do.

Ask a Question