Missing Koi

Reaction score
I have a well established pond with a 8” koi, a bossy 4 “ shubunkin, and 2 3” goldfish. 2 weeks ago I added a 1.5 “ butterfly koi. I have not seen him since. I know this is common, but can I assume he is alive because he has not floated to the top?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! I see you joined back in 2012, but this is your first ever post. Your pond must have been keeping you busy!

Well, since we don’t know anything about you, can you tell us a little about your pond? How big is it (gallons or liters)? What kind of filtration do you have? Is your pond protected from predators (You would know better than me what critters are native to your area), or have you noticed any animals or large birds, snakes, anything like that?

No, you can’t assume that he is dead or alive. This is a new fish, and new fish will often hide until they are comfortable in their new surroundings. I won’t go into my story, but I do understand that fish can be experts at hiding! Give him some time.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome! I see you joined back in 2012, but this is your first ever post. Your pond must have been keeping you busy!

Well, since we don’t know anything about you, can you tell us a little about your pond? How big is it (gallons or liters)? What kind of filtration do you have? Is your pond protected from predators (You would know better than me what critters are native to your area), or have you noticed any animals or large birds, snakes, anything like that?

No, you can’t assume that he is dead or alive. This is a new fish, and new fish will often hide until they are comfortable in their new surroundings. I won’t go into my story, but I do understand that fish can be experts at hiding! Give him some time.
Thanks for the reassurance, I hope he comes out soon and is ok. My pond is about 4 x 6 feet and 1.5-2 feet deep. Protected backyard, no predators. If predators were prevalent the big koi would be the easiest to get. Pond has a slimmer and waterfall with filter.

Ask a Question