missing (possibly stolen) koi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 1700 gallon pond with a net over it and I live in Massachusetts. This past weekend we went away for the night and when I got back my 21" Shusui koi was gone and the other fish were spooked. No one knew we were going away and the side yard is hidden and at the end of a cul-de-sac so I'd like to think someone didn't come in the yard and steal it but I have no clue what kind of animal could wiggle it's way underneath the net and walk away with a fish that big. We've had large black rat snakes before (about 6 feet) and my neighbor saw a fishercat in their yard years ago.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Otters come to mind here but then you would have seen dead and half eaten koi in your pond and surrounding garden , racoons are another thought as to humans stealing your koi thats a possibility but your going to have to put up video cameras to catch the culprit.
Perditors always come back nnes out of ten humans wont but if it was a human you could catch them by the same meathod exept this time make it known locally your away for the weekend and see what happens .
My guess is its animal over human however they do see Dollar signs when you mention koi , we have a problem in the UK with koi theives who have that same problem thinking "all koi are worth a fortune" which they are not .
Get that camera in your garden shaprish and lets see just what we catch in its lense

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our camera system gave us our first heron warning. I was sitting watching tv and saw the sushi eater fly in, stalk to the pond and fish. Watching it helped me figure out how to protect the pond from the heron, leaving it safe for the other critters, i.e. not getting caught in the net.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Bummer and hope you find out what the culprit is and can rectify it. Maybe it is the sneaky snake? It could slither under a net. Other critters might get caught up in it. You might need to put some kind of finer mesh chicken wire around the bottom or screening of some type for whatever is fitting through your netting. Maybe sprinkle some fine white flour or somethingaround the area and see if anything leaves a trail or footprints around your pond.

Ask a Question