TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
hello! I have recently moved my shubunkin goldfish outside, along with a couple of babie koi, this morning, no shubunkins to be found, but both koi still their, I am not sure if they are slower than koi or something like that, most likely a raccon, because they live on our property, but they have many many crevicies to hide, and I even checked under the fish cave, not sure how long I should wait before becoming concerned

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Fish are very good at hiding in spots you wouldn’t think to look, like a fold in your liner. Can take some fish longer to feel comfortable to come out of hiding.

Usually if a predator has been around all the fish are skittish and hiding or at least down at the bottom of the pond.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Fish are very good at hiding in spots you wouldn’t think to look, like a fold in your liner. Can take some fish longer to feel comfortable to come out of hiding.

Usually if a predator has been around all the fish are skittish and hiding or at least down at the bottom of the pond.
okay! thanks :) I will assume they are hiding ( the literal whole pond is covered by rocks )

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, never underestimate the hiding ability of fish! If they are there and still alive, give them time to adjust to their new home. It’s good that you have places for them to hide — when they feel secure enough they will show up.

A repeated word of caution, though: don’t add any more fish than the ones you already have!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Yes, never underestimate the hiding ability of fish! If they are there and still alive, give them time to adjust to their new home. It’s good that you have places for them to hide — when they feel secure enough they will show up.

A repeated word of caution, though: don’t add any more fish than the ones you already have!
thanks :) and I will make sure not to add any more and just hope these guys breed :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
You might go out after dark with a flashlight, if the pond is not too large, and see if they might wander out a little? I go out around 8:30 or so. They still don't come out to much, but more so than in day light. And I've had these little fish in my pond going on 11 months now. Mine is a small shallow pond with small rosy red minnows in it. Last August, I put about 13 or so in there. Here about 6-7 weeks ago, I counted 9.

Normally, in the day time, I will have one or two just flash/show themselves before hiding again.

At night, I might see 3, 4, or 5 really quick. I have to be very patient. They don't even come out when I feed them (gold fish flakes, cichlid pellets, frozen brine shrimp). I have never seen any of them even nibble or notice it.

And, just two days ago, I have little fry swimming around.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
You might go out after dark with a flashlight, if the pond is not too large, and see if they might wander out a little? I go out around 8:30 or so. They still don't come out to much, but more so than in day light. And I've had these little fish in my pond going on 11 months now. Mine is a small shallow pond with small rosy red minnows in it. Last August, I put about 13 or so in there. Here about 6-7 weeks ago, I counted 9.

Normally, in the day time, I will have one or two just flash/show themselves before hiding again.

At night, I might see 3, 4, or 5 really quick. I have to be very patient. They don't even come out when I feed them (gold fish flakes, cichlid pellets, frozen brine shrimp). I have never seen any of them even nibble or notice it.

And, just two days ago, I have little fry swimming around.
thanks so much for the insight!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
good news! I came across my pond to day and caught a gimps of one of the shubunkins! now I only have to see the other one to be sure, my faith is now restored that the other one is just hiding :)

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
thank you all for your amazing advice, today while rummaging around in the filter compartment of my pond, and fixing a few minor leaks, I found the other missing fish, it has unfourtunatly passed on, due to some water problems I had in there old home. the other fish in the pond are happy and healthy, and It is good that I have moved them into the new pond otherwise the other fish may have been affected by this water problem

I plan to restock with just enough fish so they have the ability to breed

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
thank you all for your amazing advice, today while rummaging around in the filter compartment of my pond, and fixing a few minor leaks, I found the other missing fish, it has unfourtunatly passed on, due to some water problems I had in there old home. the other fish in the pond are happy and healthy, and It is good that I have moved them into the new pond otherwise the other fish may have been affected by this water problem
What kind of “water problem” did you have?

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
What kind of “water problem” did you have?
I used to have high nitrate levels in the stock tank pond, specificly because I was treating it more as a pond and less as an aquarium like it should have been treated as

I now use api master test kit and test all of my water once a week to make sure this wont ever happen again :)

Ask a Question