Mixed breeds?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I made the mistake of taking in some orphaned fancy tails this spring. I tossed 4 of them in my pond which has shubunkin and koi. The offspring I ended up with are amazing. This new generation makes shubunkins look bland. I have everything from plain brown, to every color combination one could think of. I also found a few that went through the pump, and ended up in my bog. I've been told that the koi can breed with the goldfish, but I'm not sure if that has happened. At any rate, I have a really cool mix of fish. I am overcrowded, and am currently working on a 1500 gallon add on. I should be finished with the digging in the next few days. Missouri clay seems to be the majority of my dirt, and it is like digging concrete ( yes I'm digging it by hand ).

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can empathize about your clay “soil,” living in Louisiana! There is a window of opportunity of about a day (maybe 2) where it can almost be a pleasure to work with. Otherwise, it’s either squishy or concrete! When I built my pond, I found out that my saws-all, with a long blade was the best thing for fine tuning and tweaking.

Your fish sound interesting! All of my mixes (goldfish only) ended up being comets. Either my Shubbies, Watonai, and Wakins didn’t survive to breed, or their genes were too weak to show up. Sigh! Show us some pictures!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I am currently digging a large ( ish ) pond, in colorado red clay, it isn't great stuff, but when it comes to sculpting the walls it won't cave in!

Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I made the mistake of taking in some orphaned fancy tails this spring. I tossed 4 of them in my pond which has shubunkin and koi. The offspring I ended up with are amazing. This new generation makes shubunkins look bland. I have everything from plain brown, to every color combination one could think of. I also found a few that went through the pump, and ended up in my bog. I've been told that the koi can breed with the goldfish, but I'm not sure if that has happened. At any rate, I have a really cool mix of fish. I am overcrowded, and am currently working on a 1500 gallon add on. I should be finished with the digging in the next few days. Missouri clay seems to be the majority of my dirt, and it is like digging concrete ( yes I'm digging it by hand ).

Would you post pictures of your new beauties?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would you post pictures of your new beauties?

Sorry for the lousy shots. Bad time of day. I'll get some more tomorrow morning before the sun starts hitting it.

Attachments

• 20201010_160806.jpg
    20201010_160806.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 20201010_160803.jpg
    20201010_160803.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 180

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Sorry for the lousy shots. Bad time of day. I'll get some more tomorrow morning before the sun starts hitting it.
just from that, some of those colors are incredible! the dark golds and blacks are my favs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Those babies are adorable!
smfish2.gif

I have only two male shubunkin in my koi pond, and yes they do mix breed.
I haven't had a single baby koi or mixed, since I separated the last plant from the fish.

Ask a Question