Mo Ponds Mo Problems =)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, new to the group and new to ponds as well. The wife and I just moved into a new house, that happens to have a pond in the backyard, its about 4 feet by 10 feet, with average depth of about 2 feet, ill measure all when I get gome from work tonight. Anyway the Owner of the house (we rent btw) told me its about 1000 gallons im pretty sure. Now in the main reservoir at one end, are 3 pvc tubes. One leads up to a small reservoir that waterfalls into a second middle reservoir that then again waterfalls into the main. The other 2 pvc tubes lead up into the middle reservoir. So , I need 3 pumps to make it all work correctly. My Question is, how big should the pumps be, and also how many filters do I need? What kind? Ive done so much googling, im starting to lose my mind trying to figure it out lol. When we first moved in, the water was disgusting, no pumps or filter so I emptied it, scrubbed it, and filled it back up, I bought 3 cheap pumps, for like $60 each, like 500gph and hooked em all up, and a smartpond black filter that I found that previous renter left in the garage. The next day the water was crystal clear, like, it looked amazing! Now the water isn't green, like ive been reading, I don't see any algae, but its not as clear as it was, like cloudy I guess would best describe it, imma have to take some pics and upload probably to best show what I mean. I guess what I really want to know is , to get this thing going, whats it gonna cost me? what 3 pumps and filter do I need to get it up and running, UV yes or no? And from what ive read, it looks like I need to test my water as well to give you a better idea of what levels look like, which I will do as well. After I set up pumps and filters and get it all going again. Had to edit, i think i need more powerful pumps, because my waterfalls dont really "fall" they kinda trickled, not enough water flow i think.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Mike, Welcome. I'm assuming you are planning on having fish. Clear water doesn't always mean it's safe for your fish and vice versa. I recommend you read up on how to cycle a pond so you get a better idea how beneficial bacterial break down waste into less harmful components. Since you scrubbed the pond liner it will be starting from scratch. For a new pond algae is natural until the beneficial bacteria (bb) kick in. I recommend to add a bio-filter either store bought or homemade to have the pond operating properly.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Post pictures when you can.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome. Where are you located? If you are in a zone that sees much in the way of freezing temperatures it might be a little late to be concerned with adding fish, especially if you don't have a lot of experience. There is a lot of good advice out there and sometimes even the best advice conflicts with equally good advice so it can be difficult to navigate all of the information necessary to form a solid plan of action. If you are in a very warm part of the country and don't see much in the way of temps below 50's then it won't be a problem and you'll have lots of time to get it all right.

Again, pictures will be helpful. Since it sounds like you have 3 partitions hopefully you'll be able to utilize a lot of aquatic plants will help a great deal. I wouldn't spend any money until we can see some pictures so you can get on a good start. Any chance the owner can assist with some of the expenses if they are kept reasonable?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Agree with other comments. If I'm understanding about all of the tanks "waterfalling" into each other, I think you'd only need one pump -- the one that pumps into the first reservoir. If I'm not understanding, then I apologize.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome. Where are you located? If you are in a zone that sees much in the way of freezing temperatures it might be a little late to be concerned with adding fish, especially if you don't have a lot of experience. There is a lot of good advice out there and sometimes even the best advice conflicts with equally good advice so it can be difficult to navigate all of the information necessary to form a solid plan of action. If you are in a very warm part of the country and don't see much in the way of temps below 50's then it won't be a problem and you'll have lots of time to get it all right.

Again, pictures will be helpful. Since it sounds like you have 3 partitions hopefully you'll be able to utilize a lot of aquatic plants will help a great deal. I wouldn't spend any money until we can see some pictures so you can get on a good start. Any chance the owner can assist with some of the expenses if they are kept reasonable?
ty, and here are some pictures I took this morning, I am in the process of draining it, so I can get everything situated, I found

T6
Ty, here are some pics i took this morning, i am in the process of draining it so that i can get everything situated. I found 3 1900 gph little giant pumps and a 1600 gallon bio filter with 13 watt uv on amazon, think that will do? And im located in California, near San Fran

Attachments

• 20170921_085330.jpg
    20170921_085330.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 20170921_085338.jpg
    20170921_085338.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 20170921_085419.jpg
    20170921_085419.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 231
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Agree with other comments. If I'm understanding about all of the tanks "waterfalling" into each other, I think you'd only need one pump -- the one that pumps into the first reservoir. If I'm not understanding, then I apologize.
Posted some pics on below reply

Ask a Question