Modern Design

Reaction score
Hello from South Florida,
I'm designing a modern square pond in my foyer area and I'm having problems finding a smooth, glossy edging.
Has anyone ever used Travertine for the edge? (I will be creating a concrete wall so it'll be strong and sturdy.)
Any other cool modern ideas you have, please share. :banana:
Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and funny but had looked at a California contemporary home and they use granite in the entry for a small indoor pond by the entry way

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Welcome to the forum!
I remember reading somewhere that Travertine was brittle, so if you dropped something on it...
This sounds like a problem for Home Depot!

underdawg135 said:
Hello from South Florida,
I'm designing a modern square pond in my foyer area and I'm having problems finding a smooth, glossy edging.
Has anyone ever used Travertine for the edge? (I will be creating a concrete wall so it'll be strong and sturdy.)
Any other cool modern ideas you have, please share. :banana:
Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This is made of Travertine,not mine but very pretty!

Located in Zhongdian, Deqen,.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put in travertine in my arizona house, entry way. It is a good hard stone, if you put a good layer of mud below it, no air gaps it will do well. Some of it is full of natural holes, the more expensive stuff has fewer air gaps in it.

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks.
I'm looking into travertine, marble or granite.
All look great. My plans for the pond will only be 4' x 4' so it shouldn't be that expensive. :unsure:
I'm going to talk to a few local stone companies next week.
Anyone have pictures of a pond edging that is made with the travertine, marble or granite? I can't really find any.
Have a fantastic Thanksgiving everyone!! :beerchug:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Did you look on you tube and also HGTV.com has them on there sight and if you google you may find pics also .I wish I had taken a pic of the one I saw but did not have my camera with me at the time .

Reaction score
Yes! Thats what I want to do! :banana:
Pond looks great.
Does the marble need to be cleaned a lot?
What adhesive did you use to secure the marble at the bottom and in-between pieces?
Are you happy with it?
I like the color of yours, what is it?

Reaction score
underdawg135 said:
Yes! Thats what I want to do! :banana:
Pond looks great.
Does the marble need to be cleaned a lot?
What adhesive did you use to secure the marble at the bottom and in-between pieces?
Are you happy with it?
I like the color of yours, what is it?
Thanks
The marble stays pretty clean, it's a super glossy surface that is really easy to keep clean, I just use the pond water to wash it off, or sometimes when it's wet from the rain I'll give it a wipe.
I just used a quality tile mortar to fasten the tiles, but I did prep the concrete with BLUE SEAL™
The side pieces were secured with the same mortar, we just taped them in place until the mortar set.
Not sure of the color (sort of a beige?), and can't remember what the name they had for the marble was. I originally was looking for some sort of granite tiles, but found these and the color kind of went with our courtyard theme, so we went with them.
The toughest part of laying the tiles was cutting the curve on the end tiles where they meet the curve at the edge of the wall, other then that the actual laying of the tiles was a piece of cake. however, I made the mistake of doing the grout on a warm sunny day and the modifiers in the grout reacted too quickly, and I barely got it all grouted before it became unworkable.
Oh, I also sealed the grout with grout sealer.
Very happy with it. My biggest fear was that the cement wall or ledge might heave or settle and crack after the tile was on, and that would come through the tile. But I have gone through one winter already and no sign of cracking of the tile. There was some noticeable hairline cracks in the wall and concrete ledge before putting the tile on, but they didn't seem to transfer through to the tile.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome aboard! :wave: I like the sound of your modern pond design. I agree with Mucky_Waters that travertine is very porous and sucks up stains, and it would be impossible to remove them. If it wasn't such a light coloured rock then it wouldn't be a problem! You might find the same problem with marble.

How about something like slate? It can look quite striking, especially against green plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Becky said:
Welcome aboard! :wave: I like the sound of your modern pond design. I agree with Mucky_Waters that travertine is very porous and sucks up stains, and it would be impossible to remove them. If it wasn't such a light coloured rock then it wouldn't be a problem! You might find the same problem with marble.

How about something like slate? It can look quite striking, especially against green plants.
Make sure your slate is a good quality one, I had it in a shower in arizona the stuff turned to mush after exposure to a lot of mositure. Some of the cheaper stuff also peels apart.
I have some on my deck for the deck pond, upright, trimming the sides, no constant water exposure. So far doing ok and it looks great.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
underdawg135 said:
Any other cool modern ideas you have, please share.
I can't help you with that. Not a fan of modern. (I suppose that's why I still don't own a cell phone.. which is now called a "smart" phone, I've been told..haha)

Good luck though!

Ask a Question