Moles!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm nearing the end of the second year with my pond. About 2800 gallons with a 1000 gallon bog. My bog spills back to the main pond via a small "creek". Sometime in the last couple days, a mole burrowed under the liner in the creek, causing substantial water loss. I never expected this issue. After seeing this, I'm now worried about the moles going through my liner. Anyone else ever had such an issue? Any tips would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
moles can do damage; we've had stories of them chewing holes. Here's the thing about moles; they tend to be around their food source (maybe in this case, water source) so get rid of the food source (grubs) and you should get rid of your moles. Then too, they do have mole traps. Another protection would be to lay down hardware cloth for about 12" on both sides of your creek and bury it; when the varmints come to dig, they'll encounter the mesh and turn. I'd also put an angle in it so you'd bury 12" vertical AT the creek and lay the other 12" flat alongside. I had to do this to keep chipmunks out.

Ask a Question