j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's a cute little thing and wonder if your lovely fish ever think about trying to jump up and grab it :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh my poor pee wee was on the back deck yesterday laying sunning himself and we have lots of butterflies and one lands on his back he looks gets scared and runs all over trying to get it off .Poor thing as the butterfly would not take off and there I was laughing my butt off while poor king arthur was trying to figure out what was wrong with pee wee .Right now I have lots and lots of monarchs and whatever those balck ones with the blue are .Gosh that is an interesting thing to watch .I could just see pee wee 's reaction to that .I have never seen anything like it .I have seen the ones they have in the mason jars but not one like that .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh yes and I think he is mad at me for not protecting him from that mean butterfly and poor king arthur had no clue what was going on .I laughed so hard I had to sit down .I think he is still mad at me .I don't know why they like him but even as a puupy they would land near him

Attachments

• pee wee and butterfly 001.JPG
    pee wee and butterfly 001.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 237
Reaction score
Sissy, If it was a black butterfly, it may have been a mourning butterfly. They are very territorial and will attack
humans and dogs. It happened to our hound as well, he was attacked and ran all over the
yard being chased by this butterfly.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's so funny.............being attacked by a butterfly..............I mean what does it think it can do to you :razz:

Reaction score
JW. It sure was funny and inspired a funny story (I think so anyhow) This was before I had
a movie camera. Read the story and try a picture it...

The Hound And The Butterfly from Cliff Notes. :)

March 18, 2000
The Attack !
A Butterfly Story: The first attack was last spring. I was working in my garden when Joann brought to my attention that there was a beautiful little Mourning butterfly sunning himself pondside on a rock. We had read that they are called Mourning butterflies because they are black with white ragged lace trim on the tips of their wings, resembling a "widow's mourning cloak." Joann also reminded me that they are very territorial (of course I paid no attention to her warning). Well, when I bent down to get a closer observation, the butterfly began dive-bombing my head. I quickly retreated. He kept up the attack, and began chasing me.
I finally had to run into the house. We aptly named him "The Terminator."
Well, just this past Sunday, when our security hound, CJ, was making his usual patrol rounds, he spotted the Terminator sunning himself pondside on a rock. . ( We also read that Mourning butterflies are the first butterflies to arrive in spring.) Well, C.J. started his investigation by giving the Terminator "a little sniff" (big mistake!). The beautiful little butterfly quickly darted up for a few seconds to assess the situation, then turned and faced the hound ...and... the attack began! Joann quipped, "Do ya think that butterfly knows that he's attacking a security hound?" With a vengeance the "little tough guy" chased the hound all over the yard. We did not believe what we were witnessing. The hound was running away at full speed with his tail between his legs, looking back in horror! The beautiful little butterfly relentlessly kept up the attack until the poor dumbfounded hound, with a mug full of terror and embarrassment, retreated to the safety of our house. And, its a good thing for the little butterfly that he did, because we think that C.J. came very close to losing his temper! It was the funniest episode we have seen pondside yet. We are still laughing... This is a true story... Cliff

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very cute story! It sure would have made a neat video to watch in action :razz:
I found this photo of one on the web:

image002.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a hoot! That would have been great to see!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
good gosh attack butterflies who would have thought .I had a praying mantis by the pond today and went to push him out of the way and he sort of looked like he was trying to fight with me .Everytime I pushed my finger at him he put his front legs up to hit back .He was such a brave little fighter .

Ask a Question