Monarda Didyma (Bee Balm) in bog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
So, I have some Monarda didyma "Colrain Red" (aka bee balm) that I got as 2 tiny bare root plants last year. This year, they spill out of a raised bed 5 feet across and are around 3 feet high. (can we say gangbusters?) Cannot wait for them to open!!! The hummers should be pleased!

I'm making plans to divide and spread them around the yard and back hill in the fall. Wondering if anyone has tried growing them in a bog setting (ie, pea gravel at the waterline)? They tend to thrive in sunny, moist soil which got me to thinking....

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I say try and and see. It looks like it'd do fine and it's in the mint family which I've seen people grow in their bog. Let us know how it works out Michey.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've had my best luck with bee balm in moist locations. ..so I would think it would do great as long as you don't go to deep. ..it will spread as you stated so best pland in container or be ready to divide often. ..like u stated your hummers will live them and you for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks, guys! I'm definitely going to try... just wanted to see if there were any pioneers before me, lol. I'm planning on placing a fabric pot or something using window screening between the back of my rock ledge and my liner, fill it with pea gravel, and plunk some plants in. Then, i'll put a plant or two on the other side of the liner but in dirt to kind of visually expand the edge. We will see which one does better!

Now, if only I could GET to that point in construction, lol! So many ideas, so little tolerable weather! It is either blazing hot and uncomfortably humid, or pouring down rain!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I was just at a garden center that had bee balm for ponds as well as black eyed susans and coneflowers.
Hmmm, coneflower for ponds? It just so happens I have some of those that are outgrowing their space as well! I have yet to venture in to black eyed susan territory, though. Still... gives me lots to think about! Thank you, Mrsclem!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have bee balm going crazy, on land, my bog is so full of plants nothing else will fit. The marsh betony, water willow is blooming now and the bees love it!

I let all the flowers reseed where they want to makes a nice flower mix garden.

Black eyed susans those I keep away from any place I need to be, found out last year I get severe dermatitis from the fine hairs on their stems. If I get near them I have to be in long sleeves and gloves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Black eyed susans those I keep away from any place I need to be, found out last year I get severe dermatitis from the fine hairs on their stems. If I get near them I have to be in long sleeves and gloves.
I remember reading about that when it happened to you! I've been reluctant to try Susan's myself, because I hear they can be rather thuggish and am worried they will take over in my limited space =/

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The Maryland state flower..............hurts me lol

I have them growing here and there, but only in the wild wildflower areas, where I don't groom. In those areas the only grooming done is yanking vines and cutting weed trees that seem to grow everywhere. I glove up and yank them if they get into the areas I frequent.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I do have black eyed susans. They spread like crazy by seed. Have not tried them in the pond.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucaryan

Latest Threads