Money saving tips, Re: Gas Furnace

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
Here are some money saving tips for a ponder with a Lennox gas furnace.

Tip #1: Hot air: How to keep a covered-pond from freezing up
I may to have try out this idea in the winter of 2011-2012. (I get this idea while I was fixing my malfunctioned-furnace, which failed to fire & to burn gas. ) I visualize the whole process in my mind like these:

A) Hook up some piping into a hot air duct above the furnace.
:confused: Insulate the piping and have some hot air routed to the covered-pond...since my home is heated automatically by the furnace, so is the covered-pond during some freezing temperatures. What do you guys think?

Tip #2: How to save money and time by simply keeping the Furnace's components clean.

Every few years I used to pay a plumber to fix my malfunctioned furnace. Why waste your time and money when you can fix the same problem yourself safely? First I get my hand on an owner's manual through this link:

Some furnaces have malfunctioned because of dust particles clogged in its components. In my case, the particles are clogged and screwed up the pressure switch's sensors. I just unplugged the red tubing and vacuumed out the particles from the pressure switch. While I was fixing the problem, I also vacuumed out dust-particles & spiders' webs and cocoons from the combustion-air-inducer. That's it. The problem was solved by VACCUMING, and the furnace has been able to fire and burn gas. See photos below

DSC01631.jpg

The black "cup-cake" is the pressure switch. The black disk component is the combustion-air-inducer.
DSC01629.jpg

The close up shot

DSC01632.jpg

Here's what the furnace looks like without the case cover. The pressure switch is located on the upper right hand corner. If you have to look for it, there's where it's located. It's connected with the inducer by the red tubing.

DSC01630.jpg

Once the furnace has functioned properly without bugs, it looks impressive when it fires up and burns gas just like a burner in a hot-air-balloon :).

Ask a Question