Montmorillonite/Azomite

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I purchased a bag of Azomite for my pond and vegetable garden. Now I'm wondering how much to add and how often. Any thoughts? Is any amount too much? Will it affect my pond chemistry (pH etc.)?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Am familiar with the use of Montmorillonite in a pond but have never heard of Azomite being used in aquatic environs as it is mainly used as a soil additive These are two completely different compounds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Am familiar with the use of Montmorillonite in a pond but have never heard of Azomite being used in aquatic environs as it is mainly used as a soil additive These are two completely different compounds.
Honestly, I don't know. I was assuming they would be similar because they are both volcanic crystalized mineral clay. I'm sure they have a different mineral profile, but I assumed they could used in similar fashions.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I do know that Azomite is classified as a Zeolite. Montmorillonite is not. Personally, I would do more investigating before I added the Azomite to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I do know that Azomite is classified as a Zeolite. Montmorillonite is not. Personally, I would do more investigating before I added the Azomite to the pond.
I agree with Meyer on this personally we use Montmarillionite clay in our pond and a special clay mix for bringing out the best in our koi at shows [only the dealer knows the mix but its 5 different clays].....
But I would research to see if or not you could use Azomite in a pond enviroment.
This is what I found after just a few seconds of searching :-

http://www.azomiteinternational.com/products/aquaculture.html

Azomiite it turns out is an acromin for the A to Z of minerals and it is safe to use in an Aquaculture enviroment

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question