Montmorillonite clay question.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Correct, the UV will not effect the beneficial nutrients of clay, but there are beneficial organisms that live on the clay, which this clay is often used to help jumpstart a biological filter due to the beneficial minerals and microorganisms. Still though, I don't think much of the clay will actually float through the UV unless you are putting it somewhere directly in line to the UV. If there's any concern, then, after the clay dosage, just turn off the UV for a few days is not a big deal then turn it back on.

Interesting read for ya from this forum... Montmorillonite clay how many members use it and and of its importance to koi and goldfish

Also, calcium montmorillonite clays is an extremely common mineral additive to homemade fish food paste recipes, which is a big deal with koi. Many scavenger fish, like koi and goldfish, actually look forward to eat mud for part of their mineral intake. The clay also contains a very low attraction polymer so it can help to slightly clear up the water. One of the most popular formulations, amongst serious hobbyists, I come across reference Ultimate Koi Clay (shown in the aforentioned hyperlink) and Thrive Koi Clay. I choose whichever I can buy the highest quantity of.

Here are links of only some of the recipes that might be of interest that involve this clay...

Good Growth and Colour Homemade Food
A look at alternate foods for your koi and goldfish
Updated alternate food for koi and goldfish

Mixing crushed barley pellets in with clay is quite popular and this digested barley releases chemicals from the fish waste that, according to anecdotal experiences, helps with algae control. Whether this is true or not is quite irrelevant, since it is not the primary reason why folk use barley plus clay recipes, so I view it as a nice potential secondary benefit.

Honestly, calcium montmorillonite clay is only one of two products that I use in my pond as part of my "illness prevention" pond program. The other product is Koi Zyme, which is mainly a personal thing since I am often recommended it from other serious hobbyists that I trust.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the advice, my clay was delivered today and will be adding it to my pond at the weekend. I've been reading a lot of the threads about what to feed koi and taken the advice on board and bought some meal worms which the fish went mad for, they love bread and I've also tried sweetcorn which they also couldn't get enough of. I like the barley mixed with clay idea think I'll be adding barley to our shopping list :)(y)(y)

Ask a Question