Montmorillonite clay question.

Reaction score
I've been adding Montmorillonite clay to my pond for about 6wks now and ive not seen any difference, the water hasn't cleared up at all and im having a big algea bloom at the moment.
I did as the instructions said adding clay everyother day for 2wks then 1 or twice a week.
My filters are doing ok there full of all sorts of bugs swimming about.
Am I doing something wrong ??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would not count on the clay being the main ingredient to clean the pond. I have seen a improvement in my pond but it was already clear. It gave just a little crisper / polished look. I use it more for the benefit of the koi and my bio/mechanical filters and water movement to clean the pond. The clearer water is just a bonus.

I do not think your doing anything wrong but maybe just expecting to much from it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Willow are you mixing it in water first before you put it in the pond ?
We only use about 50 ml for our whole pond each week and have cyristal clear water. can I ask how much your using on the pond and its gallonage please.?
Ours being 1,000 gallons UK it works ut at 50 ml
It should act as a fluuculant and attract any particles s in the water that are suspended there where they then clump togetherand are drawn into your filter pads

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've been adding Montmorillonite clay to my pond for about 6wks now and ive not seen any difference the water hasn't cleared up at all and im having a big algea bloom at the moment.
I did as the instructions said adding clay everyother day for 2wks then 1 or twice a week.
My filters are doing ok there full of all sorts of bugs swimming about.
Am I doing something wrong ??
Go to your fish shop willo and buy a TAP anti algae pad and put it in your filter , one pad for 1,000 gallons or two if heavy algae , their new improved forula clears a pond with algae in four days .
Give that a go . is your pond in full sun by the way Willo ?...if so buy a shade or parasol to open over the pond .

Dave

Reaction score
Hi Dave

I have about 9000ltr (1979 uk gallons) pond.
The instructions for adding clay say add 1 scoop (30ml) per 4000lts so ive been adding 2 scoops (8000lts) which i mix with half a bucket of pond water.

I have two 36w UV`s with new bulbs.
My filters where given to me and im wondering if they are too small for my pond?, they are 2 round vessels 20inch diameter with brushes in the 1st vessel to stop all the big particals and in the 2nd vessel ive got 1 course, 2 medium & 2 fine foams. Then a grate with Alphagrog biomedia then at the bottom flocor.
I think......!!! ive got a flow rate back into the pond of about 1000lts p/hour ( i think ??)
I have had lots of issues this year with blanket weed blocking filters up in spring and now i cant seem to get my pond clear.
The filters are teeming with life, they where full of algea a couple of weeks ago now they are clear??

Attachments

• 422.JPG
    422.JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 307
  • 420.JPG
    420.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 423.JPG
    423.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 313
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I know you asked Dave direct, so hope you do not mind my input but I think your not moving enough water to do what you want. 9000 ltr with only 1000 ltr going back in seems to be a bit under for the best results. You UV seems fine for the ltr's

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I just got done tossing in a few scoops of clay in the ponds
Your filters needs to make your pond clear
The clay will just make it sparkle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I think your problem stems from the direct sun your getting all day every day willo and thats the reason or part of the reason your getting th green water problems how much are you feeding them each day I'm ondering if the other part of the rquasion is nutrients in your water .
But a parasol or something like it may well also help.reduce the sun somewhat :cool:
Please let me know when you've gotton the TAP anti algae pad:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TAP-ALGEA-P...TF8&qid=1402615954&sr=8-1&keywords=algae+pads

This should clear things up for you :)

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cheers Dave, ive ordered some (y)

I already have 2 bundles of barley straw in the pond but i know that takes time to break down, this has worked ok in the passed.
They get fed prob twice a day (depends on what shift im working and weather conditions) i have a feeding ring which i only fill 1 section. They eat everything within 5-10 mins.
I am feeding a mix of Tetra variety sticks & Medikoi Wheatgerm with Garlic is the main feed plus treats of mealworms, worms, frozen bloodworms, bread & sweetcorn they only get one of these once a week. Ive also been adding propolis & clay to the main feeds.

After reading everyones posts about foods i am waiting for my tetra to run out (lesson here dont buy a big bag :() then buy some "better" food :happy:

The goldfish which i was given are trying to spawn at the moment......they are doing a very good job of churning up the pond which is`nt helping :(

Reaction score
I know you asked Dave direct, so hope you do not mind my input but I think your not moving enough water to do what you want. 9000 ltr with only 1000 ltr going back in seems to be a bit under for the best results. You UV seems fine for the ltr's

Not at all RobAmy its great to get this advice from everyone :)
I was thinking the same thats why i think my filters are to small for my pond because if i increase the flow through the filters they start to overflow and i get a surging effect back to the pond. I only have one return pipe back to the pond which restricts the flow, thats the design of the filters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
willo looking at your filter and the brushes I would say they are all seriously in need of a good clean it needs to be maintained on a regular basis what make is it please ?
What gallonage pnd do we have I've forgotten sorry ?
Two 36 watt UV-C's seems to be a bit over kill I have one 36 watt one on mine with a two year life span unlike the older models :)
Lastly when was the last time you gave the bottom of the pond a spruce up (if you dont have a bottom drain ?

Dave ;)

Reaction score
Ive got about 9000ltr (1979 uk gallons) pond. I was given the filters and there's no name on them so I don't know the make. The brushes and filter foams are new only 4 wks ago which is when everything got cleaned.
The pond is only 12 months old there's not much rubbish on bottom.

Ask a Question