More cold questions for the Yankees. this time about pipes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi folks!

Well so far so good on the pipes but the warmer temps really begin tomorrow. My question is how warm does it need to be before we even consider firing up the pumps?

We've been below freezing for 7 days (no laughing Canuks) and now will be in the 40s tomorrow and 50s on Sunday with 50s to 60s the rest of the week. And is there any type of inspection I should do and what to look for?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pump has been off all winter. But, I only have a few small fish (rosy red minnows). And, a very small, shallow pond. The pond does ice over at night and on the cold days, but has not totally frozen all the way thru. They seem to survive. But, I have no idea how many I have, or how many have not made it. I never see any dead fish. :unsure:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would give them a day to melt, wait until you hit 50, but you can test fire up, see if water flows. My system does not get turned on until March or so, depends on the weather.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I usually fire mine up as soon as at least half the ice on the pond has melted. So far only a tiny bit of ice so pumps still running. Sorry you Texans are getting this crazy weather.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
As addy, mentioned since you shut the pumps off I would wait until it warms to 50. Pretty much you are looking for any leaks/cracks in your pipes or filter housing if it is exposed, if your fire the pumps up the water once flowing will show you where your leaks if any are. I have exposed pipes around my ponds and have the ponds ice up all the time at least the smaller ponds do every year with no issues, but I also leave everything running in my ponds year round.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - give it a day of warmth and then there's really no better way to check for problems than by running the pump. I don't imagine you could cause any more damage than what's already been done - and hopefully that's none! I am so sorry this has been so stressful for all of you - we may chuckle a bit, but we all do understand that when you aren't prepared in any way for this kind of event, it can be devastating.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
its in the 60s today

Yes that's right 4 days ago it was 0 now its 65. Gotta love texas!

I took off the basket catcher and it still had a chunk of ice in it. Does that mean I should give the pipes more time?

The small pond had 2 pumps both under the water so its fine. Its the bigger pond with the above ground pump I'm more concerned about firing up. The pump in the skimmer fired right up and that waterfall is fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you got one running it will keep things moving. If it not already id make the discharge agitate the surface it will help strip co2 and add o2

Ask a Question