More critters for my tanks...

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Does plants/shrimps only tank needs filter/water circulation?
Don't know if it must have water circulation but I'm going to make a guess that circulation can only be good for the critters as it circulates water and mixes nutrients and oxygen and gets rid of dead spots of waste products.

This morning, both baby assassin snails have moved from their position. I wonder if the mature assassins eat the babies as I saw a mature assassin where one of the babies was last night.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are so small, bet you are missing them, other wise they would call them cannibal snails.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
They are so small, bet you are missing them, other wise they would call them cannibal snails.
They should be called cannibal snails anyway because they eat other snails but I bet that would be a marketing failure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Don't know if it must have water circulation but I'm going to make a guess that circulation can only be good for the critters as it circulates water and mixes nutrients and oxygen and gets rid of dead spots of waste products.

This morning, both baby assassin snails have moved from their position. I wonder if the mature assassins eat the babies as I saw a mature assassin where one of the babies was last night.
I here you and agree. I'm just wish I could have a shrimp bowl like a little betta bowl.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh cool! Thanks John, I didn't know that. Now I might have to brave the snow to the store....if they are open, that is.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I still haven't seen my frogs eat. I've noticed 2 things about them:
1) They're banging their heads against the gravel. Do frogs try to bury themselves? If so, maybe I should get some gravel.
2) I saw a bit of loose skin on one of the frogs. Do they shed?

We planning to get a Betta for the small tank. Petco has a 50% off sale on all fish and plants from 2/17 for 2-3 days. Gonna look for one then. My son really wants one.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While I was home mine would come to the surface and wait for me to feed it frozen blood worms, it would inhale them. Never saw it bang its head or with loose skin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
John, I don't really have the space so I'm thinking small like 1 gallon or smaller is the best I could do. Air stone in that small space would make the water movement too much for anything. I'll have to do some research.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I think a 1 gallon is doable if you pick small shrimps. I think you'll need to put some plants in it and decor that the shrimp can hide in. There are air pumps for small tanks and some that you can adjust the flow rate. If you want less water movement, just put the airstone near the top. Just throwing out some ideas here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
ADF's do shed their skin

Not sure what you mean by head banging? They don't burrow in gravel but maybe they are looking for food? I don't think they see very well and that's why I suggested feeding them in the same spot all the time and also hand feeding (with rounded tweezers)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I don't think they see very well
This immediately came to mind when I read that:
PCS_Frog_Wearing_GlassesC_large.jpg%3Fv%3D1355878331

Reaction score
Country
United States
For bettas it's actually more important to provide warmth than air circulation with pumps or filters. Not sure about shrimp though. First thing that comes to mind with them is that you need to make sure the tank/container is completely covered or they will crawl out

Ask a Question