More planning questions

Reaction score
We are looking at building a approx. 15' L x 8' W irregular shaped pond that is 5ft deep (3 underground and 2 above).

How much bio filter will I need? I read 10-15% of volume so if I calculated right this would be ~4,000 gallon pond and we would need 400 gallons of bio filter??? Could I get away with less if I am running a uv light in a skimmer?

Also, we want to make it raised a few feet bu also a rounded irregular shape. Has anyone here done this and how?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you don't want such a big filter look at a Nexus 300.
that size pond would need a couple of bottom drains.
No problems with a rounded irregular shape, just more folds in the liner.

Reaction score
jenn. said:
We are looking at building a approx. 15' L x 8' W irregular shaped pond that is 5ft deep (3 underground and 2 above).

How much bio filter will I need? I read 10-15% of volume so if I calculated right this would be ~4,000 gallon pond and we would need 400 gallons of bio filter??? Could I get away with less if I am running a uv light in a skimmer?

Also, we want to make it raised a few feet bu also a rounded irregular shape. Has anyone here done this and how?

Might want to check this out. I think it is more like 50G filtration per 1000G water, not really sure though. But this build thread is new and should give you a good idea of what you need. This is Koikeepers, not mine======================================
===> https://www.gardenpondforum.com/my-5-000-gal-pond-build-photos-t5112.html

Reaction score
So if we were around 4,000 gallons we could probably get away with a 150 - 200 gallons stock tank as a filter? We have been running a 50 on our 1,000 gallon pond and it seems mostly clear (really need to do some work on it).

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
fish load is as big of a factor in filter size than pond size....if your gonna lightly load your filter(s) you wont need as much....how are looking to stock the new pond? build a 55 gal barrel filter (up flow) to spill feed your 50 gal stock tank as a downflow.(water flows down,over and thru media to the bottom and back up to the outlet via 2" pipe or better yet a channeling wall inside filter) you can remotely locate the barrel(s)and use your 50 gal stocktank as the waterfall filter basin...i have weirs.hint hint nudge nudge

Reaction score
If you will stay light, then you're fine with 150g, if you're gonna stock heavily (and most of us do because we're addicts) then go to the 200g+.

Reaction score
At the moment I have 3 goldfish, 2 ~12 inch koi, 4 ~4inch koi and 3 turtles. I would like to incorporate a couple more koi (want a butterfly, metallic or some new color) but figured 4k could accommodate that.

Reaction score
Went to a koi pond home tour yesterday with the fam. A local koi hobby club had 11 houses open up their yard and tell us all their secrets! Lost of great ideas....and mistakes to avoid! Out of all the fish I saw, 2 shubunkins stood out the most. One was black and scarlet and the other white with blue and purple spots; looked like Lion-fish in the water! Another cool trick; small rubber floating rings (about 1 ft in diameter). They used it to feed the fish in (so the skimmer can't suck it all off the surface but the fish can still get it and also to put hyacinths and other floaters in a clump so the don't go all over!

And the most important thing I learned is we are not that far off from having a clue! Funny thing, every house that had bead filters had cyrstal clear water (of course), the house with the regular pressurized filter was cloudy, the house with a small box pre-made filter was cloudy and the houses with mats or combos of smimmer, and bag media filters were cyrstal clear. All these were professionally built and we had clearer water than some! They ranged from 500 gallons with a liner to 7,200 gallons made out of gunite.

Reaction score
Well, it is May and our project is in full swing! I know what I want, I just keep looking at other options and questioning everything (even my visual choices). I am feeling a little frustrated and having my fishies/turtles in a 600 gallon stock tank on my patio is making me nervous (predators, heat, leaks). :regular_waving_emot

So...current thought....~20' x 8' irregular shaped pond semi-raised (~3+ feet underground and 2 ft above) with County Manor retaining wall pavers as the border (designed for easy curves, easy to work with and beautiful but $$). We have a Savio Skimmer already to go but still need to get a pressure filter (we have a 50 gallon bio), bottom drains (not sure if we will go with 1 or 2) jets (4 of em) and an external pump.

I know a square pond is what most raised ones are, I just am not sure I will like it as much. Trying to tell myself to go as big as reasonably possible so we never build again (unless we move). Just want to get this dug as it is already in the 90's here! Too many options!!!

On happier note, my biggest koi "Bullet" (a matsuba) is so docile this year that he now lets me handle him all the time (pet him, stroke him etc) and he likes to come up to the edge of the tank right next to my face and stare (even when he's already eaten!) This is my motivation, an affectionate fish (aka my slimy little aqua dog).

Reaction score
172317_1625273400292_1490222044_31310620_1702192_o.jpg

This is our current stock tank (taken from inside so a little blurry)

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/...55339871935_1490222044_31343712_1788955_o.jpg

this is the 2 ponds (torn down) with some lines drawn in.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/...91488775635_1490222044_31395966_2302195_o.jpg

this is a 3d rendering of our vision (roughly)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like the looks of your vision pond and you will have to post pics of your progress as you build it :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
We are thinking of just deciding on a shape, digging and building the pond/wall, then settling on the water feature portion. Also thinking that way, we could move around or switch up the inlet if we need to or get sick of it rather than having it be part of the pond. Basically building the falls post pond, dunno good or bad idea?

Oh and BTW, this will be a rubber liner pond, not cement or gunite or anything.

Ask a Question