MORE PUMP ADVICE, PLEASE

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Anyone with experience with AQUASCAPES Aqua Force pumps (there is apparently a new series that is asynchronous and another series that is not)? Solids handling.

What about the LAGUNA Max Flow series? Also SH.

What is an "asynchronous pump?" Have asked this before, I think, but ready for more input.

Have also recently asked but wanted to clarify/validate: PUMP SIZE.... More is apparently better, but how much is too much? My pond will be in the 2800-3500 (pretty sure) neighborhood. The AQUASCAPES pumps jump from a 2700 model (also approx. GPH) to a 5200 model.

The AS specs say that the 2700 is for ponds up to 5400 gals., and the 5200 is for ponds up to 10,000 gals. Earlier you guys recommended I consider something in the 4000 GPH family, which makes sense. So do I need to just disregard any marketing references to "pond size," and go strictly by their GPH specs?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Many factors must be taken into account when figuring out a pump size (capacity). Do you simply want a small fountain? 200 gph. A trickle of water over a small waterfall? 500 - 800 gph. A three foot wide sheet of water rivaling Niagara? 3600 - 5000 gph! Do you have a skimmer? Check the manufacturer's suggestions. Notice that pond size has absolutely nothing to do with any of these figures. If you add some type of filter, you will want to put the entire pond water volume through it every hour, or half hour, or two hours or whatever, so now you have to take pond size into consideration. One thing I always suggest: go bigger if you can afford it! You can always restrict water flow, but there is NO WAY to make your 1,000 gph pump push 1,200 gph!!!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have about 3,100 GPH going over my falls and it doesn't come close to Niagra, but it's nice. I have a Laguna 1300 (or something like that) that takes water from my skimmer to the skippy-esque filter above my stream, then I have a Laguna 2900 going from the bottom of my pond to the top of the stream. I'm using 2" pvc for the majority of the plumbing with no valves except a flapper in-line to the filter to prevent the siphoning of water from that back into the pond in the case of pump failure. Both pipe runs only lift about 2 feet and are only about 10 feet and 15 feet long, so the net GPH going down the stream and over the falls is about what I said above.

Haro is correct, always go for more. :)

John

Note the 1300 mentioned above is the new generation laguna and the 2900 is the old generation.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HARO & johnny -- thanks! Sometimes I need to go over what I already know [or more accurately, what I've already been told]. Just helps it sink in better. When I read the specs for the Aquascapes pump and saw that it said both GPH, AND for "pond size," I was starting to second-guess myself. I recently read an article that went into detail about calculating "lift," factoring in vertical as well as horizontal distances, etc.

I was probably looking more for info/validation for the different pumps (when the specs got in the way!). Was already considering the Laguna Max Flo. Then ended up talking to someone who turned out to be an Aquascapes distributor (was calling about an unrelated product), and of course he turned on his salesman talk and was trying to convince me to use THEIR products rather than go DIY ( those people irk me -- I go more for the "MIRACLE ON 34th" approach). And I wasn't even calling about pond equipment -- geesh!

You just gotta bear with us newbs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
During my research I found that the Laguna pumps seemed to use less electricity per unit of water moved. I found that http://www.azponds.com/ seemed to be equal to the best prices delivered and seemed to possess a good reputation. My experience in buying several things from them on two occasions verifies the reputation. There probably are cheaper pumps, but for submersibles that don't have to push a lot of head - these use the least electricity. For moving larger volumes of water with greater head, external pumps from Sequence and PerformancePro Artesian series (both based on Baldor pumps) are considered the best by many and are very efficient but you're talking prices that are much higher. On the other hand they are longer lived pumps.

John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks johnny they even give an extra years warranty totaling 3yrs if you buy from them and w/ the pump I was looking at they throw in 2.25lbs of free food!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
During my research I found that the Laguna pumps seemed to use less electricity per unit of water moved. I found that http://www.azponds.com/ seemed to be equal to the best prices delivered and seemed to possess a good reputation. My experience in buying several things from them on two occasions verifies the reputation. There probably are cheaper pumps, but for submersibles that don't have to push a lot of head - these use the least electricity. For moving larger volumes of water with greater head, external pumps from Sequence and PerformancePro Artesian series (both based on Baldor pumps) are considered the best by many and are very efficient but you're talking prices that are much higher. On the other hand they are longer lived pumps.

John

The lim dragon pump have the baldor motor, one reason I had my renters send them to me. Too nice to let go and too darn expensive. Forgot how massive they are compared to the es pump I have been using.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Some put them on a milk crate so whatever height that is or if you have a ledge down a couple feet you can set it there. I think kinda mid range down would be fine. Now that I say all this mine is on the bottom and has been for 10yrs..............need to move it tho cuz if something malfunctioned big doo doo for poor dried up fishies!

Ask a Question