More than one thing you can do with Koi clay

Reaction score
My sister was telling me that her husband had dug up a bunch of clay while putting in the stringers for stairs going down to the river on their property. My niece go a hold of it an made imprints of her hand and that night by the fire pit she threw them in and fired them. What fun and such great memories. I told her about this post and the figurines Aric had made. Such a coincidence it was around the same time for great finds.

Reaction score
It is fun to work with and much different than your normal pottery clay. I have issues with other clays drying out my hands but, don't get this at all with this clay. It's also really good clay for carving on as there are no aggregates like most other clays. I didn't have very much when I first started doing this but, I got more last weekend and processing it now. No Koi yet but its coming. Here is a little cup I made practicing my carving skills at making a braid pattern. A log fell on this one while firing and cracked it but, it adds character. I also have a leaf bowl but, I can't find it at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 346
Reaction score
Here is a Koi I just finished. Working on a butterfly koi bowl and also some other new koi. These are fun to do. Next ones will be a bit more cartoonish looking.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 344
Reaction score
That is a form of (not sure how to spell it) raccu.

Cute Koi Airic!

stroppy said:
they look really good Airic...i use to make things too with clay and we had a wood burner and i use to bake mine in there ...only trouble it use to make them turn black .... look forward to seeing more of your work :biggrin:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
very nice Airic , i havent done anything with clay since my school days!! maybe i should dig some up and see what i can bring to the table.

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind comments.

I would love to see some other peoples art work. Its just a fun winter thing to do. Last year was Cottonwood bark which is also fun and great for beginer carvers like myself. Attached is some funky morel mushrooms I carved with it.

I tested last weekend with kitty litter to see if it is the same as what I've been getting. The kitty litter (clean might I add) is a bentonite and can be molded but its not as pure as what I have been using and didn't like it. When I had harvested my last batch I picked up the clay rocks on the creak bottom and also dug some out of the creak bank. The rocks are the most pure and best to use.

Attachments

• mushroom.jpg
    mushroom.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 278
Reaction score
I have no way of measuring the temperature but, I would guess it’s around 1000 deg. F. I usually place the piece close to the fire at first to slowly bring the temp up for about 2 hours, then I toss it on the coals and throw some on top as well to get it as hot as I can and keep it like this for 4 hours. When firing the entire piece will be glowing orange.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Very nice. You are not only an artist but a sculptor as well. I remember cottonwood trees from the Dakotas. We had really big ones.

Ask a Question