Mortar around my waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

quick question, I have built myself a waterfall for my pond (will try and add a photo). I have a liner behind the rocks but wanted to direct the flow of water down the waterfall so fill all the gaps using mortar.

question: do I need to seal the mortar off with a pond sealer product or will it be ok to leave as it is? I don’t want to harm my fish and someone told me the mortar or lime in the mortar would be bad for the fish?

I have done some searching but most threads are based on full mortar or concreate waterfalls, mine is just mortar between the rocks to seal the gaps.

please can someone help?

many thanks
Ricky

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this works

Attachments

• E9696A28-3E15-4D3B-A3A1-337AEBEC9613.jpeg
    E9696A28-3E15-4D3B-A3A1-337AEBEC9613.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 0EF3BD48-B3CE-4355-81A0-A331E5A6E357.jpeg
    0EF3BD48-B3CE-4355-81A0-A331E5A6E357.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 230

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read that some ponds have the rocks in the bottom mortared together without issue. I have never done it myself, others will chime in.

I would think you should be ok, just keep a watch on the ph of the pond water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read that some ponds have the rocks in the bottom mortared together without issue. I have never done it myself, others will chime in.

I would think you should be ok, just keep a watch on the ph of the pond water.

thanks, still not sure lol. Pond sealer over the mortar joints or leave as it is now the mortar is dry just let it run without sealer? Think might be safest bet to get some and do it just to be safe. Thanks mate for the response anyway

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
because of the size of your pond and the minimal amount of mortar, I would think it would not cause much of an issue. But as you said, still better to be safe, so if you can find some clear sealant that would be good :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Had you asked earlier, the answer would have been to skip the mortar and use waterfall foam. But since you're asking us at this point, then I would probably agree with you - if you can seal it, I would do it. It might help the mortar to last longer, too. I think the common wisdom is the concrete will affect the pH of the pond but only for a short period of time.

Examining your waterfall I would suggest that you may need waterfall foam anyway - imagine water taking the path of least resistance. I think you're going to lose some flow along the edges, mainly along the top. Obviously you have liner that will direct the water back in the pond, but you will lose the full effect of your waterfall. Just a thought!

Ask a Question