Mosquitoes.. I need ideas.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you build it, they will come? How will they even know this is a house for them.
IDK, but somehow they do. Bat houses have a particular construction that is inviting to them. I've read that it can take years, but it happens. Their houses have to be pretty high off the ground, with some open space, if I'm remembering. Maybe they "house-shop" at night while they snack their way through an area. Good question, though.

But think about it...... When are mosquitoes most active? When are bats active?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
BTW I do have an Aerator with 4 outlets in the pond, in addition to the waterfall from the filter and a waterfall from the bog and the skimmer.

I have to look up pictures of that...

I may have some I'm not sure.....

I think I may start spraying the ground past the pond, it slopes downwards so no risk of getting into the pond.

It's just your basic ground cover ivy. Pretty at first, until it tries to take over the world!!!!!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pretty much any bushy shrubs, but there very well might be some plants that are better at either attracting or repelling them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I've never seen a garden pond contribute to the mosquito population, if anything the larva deposited in a typical pond will be eaten, which in my opinion reduces mosquito population. I'm sure with the topic of zika virus and mosquitoes in the press lately that their will be numerous self-appointed do-gooders that will be convinced that our little patch of moving water is the source of all of the World's ills, and that they are anointed to solve those ills at our expense. The best strategy is probably just to throw in a mosquito dunk, tape some drier softener sheets under out outdoor furniture and pretend that they aren't the complete idiots that they are.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's just your basic ground cover ivy. Pretty at first, until it tries to take over the world!!!!!
That sounds like the way Asian Jasmine is for me -- hate that stuff, and it's so hard to get rid of. Yep, pretty at first, then your yard becomes the scene of a horror movie!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Goldfish will consume an amount of mosquito larvae many times over what mosquito fish will consume. There are other reasons to stay away from mosquito fish like they will also eat fry of other fish. They will decimate the zooplankton population in a pond disrupting the natural food chain. I could write a lengthy paper on why one should not add mosquito fish to their pond, but others have already done this so I don't need to.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
That sounds like the way Asian Jasmine is for me -- hate that stuff, and it's so hard to get rid of. Yep, pretty at first, then your yard becomes the scene of a horror movie!
Another super-invasive is ajuga (as bad as mint and lambda).

Bird baths are skitter-breeders as well.

Skitters weren't bad at all this year (up here). Lack of rain, cooler nights.

We've only got West Nile to deal with up here. No

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've never seen a garden pond contribute to the mosquito population, if anything the larva deposited in a typical pond will be eaten, which in my opinion reduces mosquito population. I'm sure with the topic of zika virus and mosquitoes in the press lately that their will be numerous self-appointed do-gooders that will be convinced that our little patch of moving water is the source of all of the World's ills, and that they are anointed to solve those ills at our expense. The best strategy is probably just to throw in a mosquito dunk, tape some drier softener sheets under out outdoor furniture and pretend that they aren't the complete idiots that they are.
Having just built a 15x15 cedar gazebo (square), I incorporated a "damp rated" ceiling fan under the roof which is highly effective in keeping the skitters away. Very cooling as well.

Warning: Install ceiling fan at centre roof minimum height of 7'' (including drop-down arm) to avoid "Inebriated Marie Antoinette Syndrome".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hi guys,
I live in the Laurentians, in Quebec (should I say mosquitos land?). I built my 1500gal pond last year and I can tell that there are no more mosquitos as before but none less. Keep in mind larveas can't survive in moving water.
On the plus side I now have frogs and tree frogs, birds coming for drinking and for bathing, some species I never saw before!
There are no cons, my water is crystal clear thanks to the barley straws, lots of aquatic plants and the aerator. No filtration at all.

Real problem here is when one start believing your pond is a mosquito or worst a zikka nursery... no matter what, odds are against you.

Hope you keep your pond.
Daniel

Last edited:

Ask a Question