Mosquitos

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright i made a 2 barrel static filter with both barrels containing 2 cubic feet of k2 in each. Unfortunately when i put the lid on the barrels they fill with mosquitos. Any ideas how to stop the mosquitos in the barrels. I know there coming from the pond. I have about 4 fish and another 70 rosy red minnows. Apparently this aint enough to keep population down

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That’s odd, because mosquitoes won’t lay their eggs in anything except still water. And if they do lay eggs in a pond, the fish will eat the larvae before they can change into adults. Also, odd about your barrels. Does the water move in them? And if they are covered, how do the mosquitoes get inside? Mosquitoes are more likely to grow and thrive in spots around the yard that collect water after a rain or after a lawn watering. The adults hang out during the day is shrubbery, waiting for dusk. Look around your yard. Look for anything that will hold standing water such as toys, trash cans, flower pots, etc. That will be your mosquito nursery.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just look a little closer they look like gnats. I guess they come up in the water into the barrels.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200817-194156_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200817-194156_Gallery.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 89
Reaction score
Country
United States
The barrels have water pumped from pond into first barrel then flows through k2 into second barrel through k2 then back out

Attachments

• 20200729_164934.jpg
    20200729_164934.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 84
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
One summer we were getting mosquitoes in our pump vault. I don't think they were laying or hatching in there though - I think the adults were finding their way in and then couldn't get back out. I mean that water for SURE is moving! It only happened that one year - your question brought that memory back. I had forgotten all about it!

Ask a Question