Moss between rocks?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all. This will be my 2nd summer with my pond so I'm still fairly new to it. Is there any kind of moss, or "moss like" plant that can grow in the voids between the rocks around my pond where there's no soil? I'm in zone 6

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like using various plants and let the moss move in where it loves it. The moss moved into the shady spots by itself but you can steal some off the rocks in a stream or wherever and place it on the rocks yourself. There is some kind of a buttermilk recipe solution that you can apply on the rocks to make the moss stay on better. Maybe google moss recipe using buttermilk.

IMG_6170.JPG

IMG_6171.JPG

IMG_6551.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have phlox planted as well, and it does well, but doesnt bloom prolifically in the heavy shade of my rocks. If you get good sun on your rocks, I agree phlox is a lovely choice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Also moss rose is a personal favorite. Very tolerant of dry, poor soil and great for rock gardens. Not overly fond of sprinklers tho, it gums the flowers, but lovely nonetheless.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Jw? I cant get over how lovely your pond planting are. I dont know what you have there between your rocks. But I love the wildness of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
You Re obviously a ground cover nut like I am. The idea of bare soil irritate you? It does me, lol.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@KC Crook thank you and it's a bunch of whatever plants and I don't really know what they are either. Some just showed up, some I found out in the wild and some I had scattered in other gardens and just plucked them out and put them there.

Yes bare soil is scary :eek:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have lots of moss that just popped up behind my shed it on the shady side of the house

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
@KC Crook thank you and it's a bunch of whatever plants and I don't really know what they are either. Some just showed up, some I found out in the wild and some I had scattered in other gardens and just plucked them out and put them there.

Yes bare soil is scary :eek:
Ahaha! Its spectacular! If I had the sun, I would be all over that. I have to have more shade loving ground covers which have been beat back a bit when I put in the pond. The little white one, called Lamium. I cant think of a more beautiful "woodland" ground cover. I also have this ground cover, which Im sure would prefer more sun then i have put is lively enough just the same. Hard to see the lively little lavender flowers in my shade.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Moss between rocks is also a subject of ground covers, is it not? Natural moss takes years to grow. It requires alot of shade, sufficient moisture, and patience. I absolutley love natural moss and encourage it however I can. There is milkshake mixtures that can accelerate growth, some commercial, some homemade like buttermilk and pulling moss existing and chopping it into a brew and pouring it where you want. No matter what, it still takes a couple years to see results.

Ask a Question