Moss between rocks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I was so addicted to natural moss, I took it off my inlaws property and transplanted it onto my own. But it takes a dedication that is unprecedented. It should never ever get dry,(when starting) it should not be drowned either, so a misting or drainage. Its complicated and Im unqualified to say more. I can say, I was given "Moss milkshake" as a gift a couple years ago and I spread it on my rocks in late winter. I wanted the wet of winter to help start it. Then, over time, I totally forgot about it. Now, a year later, I see little sprouts of moss on some rocks it was spread on. Its really fun actually...but only if you can forget you even tried, lol.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I do nothing to mine and am surprised it survived after I put down a lot of lime ,it likes acidic soil .Which my soil was when I bought the property .Before I bought it was full of scrub pine that the developer took out .I had red clay dirt and a house when it arrived on sight .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
My soil slowly leans alkaline through its years of water. I put acid fertilizer on my irisis only.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sedums and other succulents and periwinkle (Vinca minor) fill in the cracks well. Vinca will take over here if not trimmed back though.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought some vinca but it has never flowered but has to be trimmed back all the time .It is in full sun and my neighbor bought them at the same time and 1 flowered and 2 never did and they are over 6 years old

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think my pond gets too much sun for moss then. I like the phlox or Irish moss. I thought about putting some soil in between my rocks but I'm afraid it would all end up in my pond first good rain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Any and all sedums work great, as does creeping jenny, vinca, creeping thyme... basically any groundcover. I wouldn't add extra dirt - just enough to keep the plant anchored until it starts growing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I bought some vinca but it has never flowered but has to be trimmed back all the time .It is in full sun and my neighbor bought them at the same time and 1 flowered and 2 never did and they are over 6 years old
I rented a house in 90% shade and they planted vinca along the foundation of the house, and it flowered rarely but took over everything! I hate the stuff. You cant kill it and you cant decide later to take it out. Once its in, its pure maintenance....forever! At least this property was.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I think my pond gets too much sun for moss then. I like the phlox or Irish moss. I thought about putting some soil in between my rocks but I'm afraid it would all end up in my pond first good rain.
Thats a legit concern. Dont put it in where it leans towards your pond, only away and you may be good. It will pack down fairly quick with a little time. Idk much about how a little soil will hurt your pond, just avoid those with ferilizer built in, like Miracle grow? Phlox and irish moss dont need that anyway.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is in a shaded area of my yard and does not get full sun. I have creeping jenny and phlox growing around one side of my pond and it is doing well. I like it so much I decided to try and place some of the creeping jenny around to cover more of the pond edge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Irish moss does like moisture and some shade tho, its not a true "rock garden" fill if you have hot, dry conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I hate vinca. I rented a house once that had that stuff gowing like weeds all over everything. It was choking out the grass, growing up through the dryer vent, under the house, between the siding, and one or two flowers here and there in very poor sun. I hate go say it, but its a weed...like yarrow root for me. Once you put it in, you can never rid yourself of it...and its flowers (granted in my experience in mostly shade) were hardly worth its damage.

Ask a Question