addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have neat moss here in pa, but md is too hot and dry, our land is all full sun. Love moss

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Very cool! I have small patches of moss growing around the pine trees beside my pond, and this Summer I transplanted some of it onto rocks at the edge of the water. I wonder what the chances are of moss growing on cedar planks? I have those boards trimming the edges of my waterfall, and it would look amazing if I could get moss growing on those boards!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Such a fun and inspiring article, thank you for sharing! I've got some moss growing in one of my side yards... Next spring, you can bet i'm breaking out the blender! :beer:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have always wanted to grow moss. I think it would be a struggle here in the high desert. We get less the 12" of rain annually, have way more sunny days a year than most of the country and we have notoriously high soil ph. Mine has always been between 8-9. The plants I have attempted to grow requiring low ph always have a hard time and take a lot of work on my part amending the soil.

Maybe a pond rock though on the north side of the falls. maybe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
j.w said:
Course everyone knows moss grows here quite well.............you actually can't stop it! If you stand too long in one place it will grow on your nose :biggrin:
I find it funny on gardening forums it seems everyone wants what doesn't naturally grow in their area. LOL I would love moss, ferns and the whole lot while I have heard of folks in your area going out of their way to try and grow cactus and they are a dime a dozen here. LOL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wonder if I could make a moss cocktail like described in your link and cover a pumice stone with it. The put the stone on the north side of the falls where it would stay wet yet not be directly in the water. Maybe it would grow and spread to of the other rocks... Hmmm thinking thinking :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Some people here kick the grass to the curb and go all moss for their lawns. Then you just have to fight the grass that wants to come back. We have grass on all our property but lots of moss growing in between. We just let em do what they feel like and don't worry about who wins. As long as it's green it's great w/ me. I must confess I do like the tropical look and have a few palms trees, one that is hardy and one not so much that will prolly die some year out there planted near my green house. I have Christmas lights wrapped around it, the old kind that get hot so as to try and keep it from freezing. It worked last year but last year was mild. This year could be a killer no matter how many lights are on that thing. I planted some Irish Moss here and it loved it so much that it tried to take over the whole garden bed and started to grow out into the grass too.
Love ferns and they grow here everywhere in the shaded areas. Would love to have a tree fern or 2 or 3 :biggrin:

Reaction score
pecan said:
I have always wanted to grow moss. I think it would be a struggle here in the high desert. We get less the 12" of rain annually, have way more sunny days a year than most of the country and we have notoriously high soil ph. Mine has always been between 8-9. The plants I have attempted to grow requiring low ph always have a hard time and take a lot of work on my part amending the soil.

Maybe a pond rock though on the north side of the falls. maybe.
I think If anyone can grow something in an unlikely invironment it would be you :) your yard is gorgeous!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey Pecan I like your scary avatar..................or is that the real you :biggrin:

Ask a Question