Most expensive koi to breed??

Reaction score
I wanted to try to breed koi. Which ones run at a higher price so if I breed them I'll be able to sell them for more money. I am a college student so any source of income will really help. I've breed fish before just not koi. Thanks a lot

Reaction score
I wanted to try to breed koi. Which ones run at a higher price so if I breed them I'll be able to sell them for more money. I am a college student so any source of income will really help. I've breed fish before just not koi. Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think Kohaku's are the most popular but I think Platinum Ogons would be the easiest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think Kohaku's are the most popular but I think Platinum Ogons would be the easiest.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
DoDad is right.
My breeding stock are Kohaku, Sanke and Platinum and every year, I get a lot of Platinums and very few Kohakus or Sankes.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
DoDad is right.
My breeding stock are Kohaku, Sanke and Platinum and every year, I get a lot of Platinums and very few Kohakus or Sankes.

Reaction score
Alright thanks a lot. Are they just called platinums in general? because there seems to be different types of platinums. Also is there a way to determine male/female or any way to buy paired kois? thanks again

Reaction score
Alright thanks a lot. Are they just called platinums in general? because there seems to be different types of platinums. Also is there a way to determine male/female or any way to buy paired kois? thanks again

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Paired Kois are not only going to be larger but also more expensive for specific and quality Koi.

Are you ready to spend several thousand dollars for a mature pair of your choice? Keep in mind that is just the beginning if you want to be a breeder. Don't expect much return on investment for a few years and then it will be slow coming. I have more volume on pond plants than Koi sales.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Paired Kois are not only going to be larger but also more expensive for specific and quality Koi.

Are you ready to spend several thousand dollars for a mature pair of your choice? Keep in mind that is just the beginning if you want to be a breeder. Don't expect much return on investment for a few years and then it will be slow coming. I have more volume on pond plants than Koi sales.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Out of the hundreds of fry by the time you cull out the bad ones you are left with very few quality fish. I'm talking about Gosanki.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Out of the hundreds of fry by the time you cull out the bad ones you are left with very few quality fish. I'm talking about Gosanki.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
One of my favorites is the Hikari-Moyo.............
They are patterned metallic koi. It does not include those with Utsuri or Showa markings. They come in both scaled and doitsu varieties. This variety is popular because they are highly metallic, appear in many colors, and are immediately attractive to the eye.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
One of my favorites is the Hikari-Moyo.............
They are patterned metallic koi. It does not include those with Utsuri or Showa markings. They come in both scaled and doitsu varieties. This variety is popular because they are highly metallic, appear in many colors, and are immediately attractive to the eye.

Reaction score
Mine are just mutts and I've got a local pet store chain that will buy my 2-3" fry for $2 apiece. I'm lined up to sell them this spring so I can thin my heard a bit.

At some point of this journey and when I get better at this hobby I'm going to start breading doitsu lemon hariwakes. All a hobby though and it would seem to be hard to make any real money. If anything it pays a little for all the fish food I go through.

Ask a Question