Mother Nature wrecked my pond!!!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Lol.. okay, its not wrecked, but it'll sure take a while to get it back to where it was. Friday night, our heatwave finally broke and we had a nice storm, a nice storm with 60 mph winds that took down trees, and snapped off my cannas, which had finally reached the top of my 6 foot privacy fence. Also, I found out that if there is monsoon like rain, I get ALOT of sand runoff into my pond.

So the wind killed my plants, the rain clouded my water, and the lack of electricity killed my pumps. By morning, I couldnt see an inch down into the water!!!

So saturday was a busy day, cleaned both pond filters so they could filter the water as best they could, picking up plants, and then went to town on the large branches that came down from the trees, it was an all day project.

Pond was looking better this morning, I could see maybe a foot down into it. Fish are still happy, they were swimming all around and eating, I just cant enjoy them much until the water clears up. I think I'm going to go ahead and do a wood mulch border around the pond. The dirt I dug out of the pond was so sandy, it worked great around the pond, you pack it down and its like cement, but if I ever get a downpour like that again, I don't need more of it going into the pond.

Got some pics of the pond, but they are on my camera at home, but here is a pic of all of the branches I picked up from around the house. Thats what was left after I cut up the good firewood and stacked it for bonfires later.

View attachment 7460

Attachments

• IMAG0115.jpg
    IMAG0115.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 392

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After my build we had a unreal down pour, watched mud wash into the pond in two places, one in the stream one at the entry to the pond. Now have french drains and more back slope no more mud.......

Sorry about the storm messing you up

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Yeah,,, the water I guess was no big deal, it'll clear up in a few days. My plants on the other hand made me ANGRY, they were so tall... and now they are gone. :(

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ididntdoit99 said:
Yeah,,, the water I guess was no big deal, it'll clear up in a few days. My plants on the other hand made me ANGRY, they were so tall... and now they are gone. :(

yeah that really sucks. Watch and wait to see them look great and poof gone.

We had a storm in arizona back late 90's, 140 mpg down gust. Lost 10 trees, our roof, mother nature was pissed that day.

Hated cutting up the trees.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I'm not even sure what the actual winds were, local channels website says "record setting downpour and high winds"

I cant believe these people get paid for that. I can say that much, give me some NUMBERS!!!

Anyway, I had some big limbs break, but no trees came down, I spent a couple hours helping a buddy who had a whole tree come down in his back yard, he had a big mess to clean up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
last storm we had a couple weekends ago brought down a large branch out of the pin oak across the street at the church and plew it's leaves/small branches onto our front yard...but our trees just threw down the normal lil branches and nothing else got messed up..storms sure have been weird here in nebraska this year (lightening has been awesome) and it's usually hot and "dry" this time of year here...but has been anything but dry this year...hot oh boy ya hot!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Addy, would that have been considered the Great Gas mileage storm of the 90's, or the economical winds of Arizona. One minute your in Arizona, a hour later and a gallon of gas and your sitting in the middle of Texas?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry for what happened to your pond and plants ididn'tdoit. Bet the nursery's are packed w/ people replacing all there plants now. They are the winners in this mess! Maybe you can find some good end of summer replacement deals w/ fall around the corner :bouncycig:

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Really sorry to hear about your mess. But at least you salvaged some firewood from the storm. :cool:

I'm with you on the news "readers." I can stick my head out the door and get a better idea about the weather than anything they provide. :lol:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
Addy, would that have been considered the Great Gas mileage storm of the 90's, or the economical winds of Arizona. One minute your in Arizona, a hour later and a gallon of gas and your sitting in the middle of Texas?

lmao fishin, yep you got it. Every house had the north side of its roof removed. We lost our entire north side, then it rained 2 inches on new oak flooring..........sigh.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ididntdoit99 said:
I'm not even sure what the actual winds were, local channels website says "record setting downpour and high winds"

I cant believe these people get paid for that. I can say that much, give me some NUMBERS!!!

Anyway, I had some big limbs break, but no trees came down, I spent a couple hours helping a buddy who had a whole tree come down in his back yard, he had a big mess to clean up.

I have a davis weather station, it gives me all that information for my house. Winds, humidity, heat index, wind chill, rain (total, amount per hour, monthly yearly on and on.

I brought my arizona one with me, it is now in pa, keeping track of our place up there. Bought a new one for here, it even posts the information on the web. We can sit in florida and know what is happening at home.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
addy1 said:
yeah that really sucks. Watch and wait to see them look great and poof gone.

We had a storm in arizona back late 90's, 140 mpg down gust. Lost 10 trees, our roof, mother nature was pissed that day.

Hated cutting up the trees.

addy1 said:
lmao fishin, yep you got it. Every house had the north side of its roof removed. We lost our entire north side, then it rained 2 inches on new oak flooring..........sigh.

So maybe we should have wind built cars made in Arizona. 140mpg wind driven sounds a lot better than 50 mpg electric assisted. LMAO!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
As bad as it was at least a tree limb didn't puncture your liner at the same time
Its just one step back

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No kidding drcase, that would have really sucked.

Ask a Question