Mouth Problems

Reaction score
One of my big koi seems to have split his mouth. I'm not sure how. It looks like someone caught him with a fishing hook and them let him go. Poor guy. It appears that the scale next to the his mouth (which appears to be one big 'shell'/scale has split and is lifting. Its been this way for a few weeks (and maybe before, I have been on vacation). He is eating fine and swimming fine. At first I thought the scale would fall off and a new one would grow, but that has not happened.

Has anyone seen this before. I don't think there is anything I can do.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
One of my big koi seems to have split his mouth. I'm not sure how. It looks like someone caught him with a fishing hook and them let him go. Poor guy. It appears that the scale next to the his mouth (which appears to be one big 'shell'/scale has split and is lifting. Its been this way for a few weeks (and maybe before, I have been on vacation). He is eating fine and swimming fine. At first I thought the scale would fall off and a new one would grow, but that has not happened.

Has anyone seen this before. I don't think there is anything I can do.

If there is no apparent signs of infection, I would not worry. The fish will heal on its own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Have you got a photo we could look at with the damage done Priscilla , the mouth should heal on its own could you tell me if the cartidge is intact and not torn at all .
I've a feeling youve had kids around whist you have been away

Dave

Reaction score
Its very hard to tell what's going on Dave. I tried to get a picture but wasn't successful. His mouth seems to be functioning normal, eating like normal, no visible issues. Its more the large scale on his face has started to split in a corner. Weird.

I don't want to stress him (and me) by trying to catch him just for a picture. I don't think there is anything I can do.

I just googled Koi mouth issues. THANKFULLY it does not look like rot or disease. When I first saw it I thought of a scale has come loose and will fall off, but it hasn't fallen off or broken off. Very strange. The fish do root around in a papyrus plant very aggressively looking for bits of food, I wonder if he split it doing that? I will definitely double my efforts for a picture.

BTW Dave, Marble's tail has grown back. Seems to be a little issue there. The same section fell off and grew back. Hopefully its there to stay now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Told you it would but you may find it will keep going at that Join in the fin Priscilla however a little interested in this mouth problem at the moment remember you can bring a fish to the surface in a stress free way just by leading it to the surface without the net acctually touching it , this way with the help of your hubby or friend you could take a photo of it so that you can share /

Dave

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures. They are not very clear, but I think you can see the problem. Please note, there is no fungus around it. Its appears to be a clean 'cut/break' the pictures are a bit blurry.

P1.jpg
P2.jpg
P3.jpg
P4.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It does look like it caught it mouth on something sharp and just did a clean cut.

Reaction score
It does look like it caught it mouth on something sharp and just did a clean cut.

Agreed. Not sure what will happen. Wonder if it will seal back or break off and a new bit grow? Hopefully it doesn't get infected. Its been a few weeks now and so far so good. Definitely hasn't stopped her from eating.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think if it was going to get infected it already would have. disclaimer, I only have goldfish................

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The fish should heal on its own. Do you have any sharp edge rocks or other objects submerged in your pond..Koi will easily damage themselves on any sharp submerged surface.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The fish should heal on its own. Do you have any sharp edge rocks or other objects submerged in your pond..Koi will easily damage themselves on any sharp submerged surface.
I agree with Meyer and this should hopefully heal on its own people really dont realize just how powerful koi can be and they can damage themselves quite badly if they catch on something or land hard on something , it looks bad but I cant see any signes of infection here nor is the cartlige damaged plus the koi is eating just keep an eye on it for now Priscilla if it gets any worse PM me

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If there is no apparent signs of infection, I would not worry. The fish will heal on its own.

I totally agree. If no infection sign is apparent and your water conditions are all in check, especially the KH, PH and Ammonia, then let him heal. If an infection set in, then depending on what bacteria is that arises, you would then treat the koi. I've seen several in my pond get a scrape here and there but a healthy fish with good water chemistry is a plus to avoiding problems.

Ask a Question