Moved into new house with pond - Help needed/advice - newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, have just moved into a house with a pond 3 metres x 4 metres 70cm deep.

I have purchased new top quality filter box, 12,000 pump and clarifier and have 25 goldfish, 2 medium koi and 3 large carp.
I gave been cleaning pond filters ever 3 days and still getting very heavily silted filters.

the pond is getting clearer each day as it was completely green, but it keeps getting more and more cloudy.

Only feeding fish twice per day but cannot seem to get it fully clear? Please see photos. Of filter spong20% of pond has plant cover.

help/advice needed.

thanks

tony

Attachments

• 9BC447BE-AB6D-43BA-965A-C6BBFAACF26D.jpeg
    9BC447BE-AB6D-43BA-965A-C6BBFAACF26D.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 59

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your pond seems to be between 2000-2200 US gallons. I think maybe you are pushing the limits of fish. I would cut back on the feeding. As long as there is algae and plants, the fish will not starve.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I sometimes go all summer without feeding the fish. They do just fine. They snack on eggs laid, plants, algae etc.

You don't want many more and those koi will grow.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1626465896493.gif
@MadMartinez
I hardly ever feed, just once in awhile but I just have goldfish. Not sure koi can go too long w/o being fed. Maybe try once per week?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Also do you think I have too many fish?
Thanks all. Appreciate the advice. Might downsize the number of fish
the basic rule of thumb for fish is 1000 gallons (4000 liters) for one koi and 500 gallons for the next one. So, yeah, you're having issues due to overstocking. And unless you're TRYING to have huge fish, you don't need to feed even once a day. You can, but you also will have water issues, esp as the koi/carp grow to max size (can get to 36"/90 cm). The goldfish CAN get to 40 cm but will probably only approach 25 cm.

Building a bog type filter would help you in many ways; search the forums for a myriad of threads, if you're interested.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The sponge is only one part of the equation . when you say 12000 i take it you mean liters.
is there a water fall or stream?
is there a liner in your pond or is it earthen pond?
Have you checked the bottom of your pond is it full of muck. If it is the fish will more then likely be constantly stirring up the bottom looking for food and resulting in floating sediment and cloudy water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a waterfall and there is muck at bottom constantly being stirred. The pond is lined but I think there is some earth and it has been neglected somewhat by previous owners. It is 12000 litres per hour pump. I think there may be too many fish for size of pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A pond vac may help if it's not too deep / the muck . or you might need to drain it and remove it by hand using any steel tools is very risky in puncturing the liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a waterfall and there is muck at bottom constantly being stirred. The pond is lined but I think there is some earth and it has been neglected somewhat by previous owners. It is 12000 litres per hour pump. I think there may be too many fish for size of pond?
I have similar sized pond , water is constantly murky with algae , fear not oxygenated enough . I'm struggling to get it clear . What kind of pump/filter should I be using ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A lot here have tried many different filter along the years of keeping fish and the end result and winner appears to be the bog. There are other filters out there that can do the job but it would seem those need to be over sized from what they say they can manage. In other words if you have a 4000 gallon pond i'd look for a filter that does 8000. Here's a couple of my videos that show proof is in the pudding as the say.
the first was during spawning and the water is a bit stirred up. and the second is a video taken at night with the cell phone. actually both are with the cell phone.

Ask a Question