Moved my Koi in today

Reaction score
Got all my fish moved today. I am so excited. Went very well. Storm hit just as we were catching the last of them. Of course traffic was horrible driving them home. But they looked well when we got them here. Dumped them in faster than what I had planned for. Time wise I think we were getting to close to push it any further.

All my container lined up and ready. We did put them all in the truck then filled them. Way smarter. :)

View attachment 4137

Covered it with dark sheets for the night.
View attachment 4138

I read that online. Says it will help them calm down after a long move. Will have to take a photo of the neat koi sock I made out of fabric and an embroidering hoop. haha worked like a charm.

Attachments

• ready to move.jpg
    ready to move.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 272
  • home.jpg
    home.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 319

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic, glad your move went well. Your photos of the koi sock will probably help out someone else trying to move fish.

Reaction score
Will be back out there tomorrow to gather my filter, pump ect. And of course more rocks! Will make sure I grab it. The temp set up I have now is not enough for long term. Having problems with my new filter system. Can't seem to stop the leaks. ggrr. Put my bottom hole to close to the bottom of the can. I knew better. Did it anyway. :)

Reaction score
Thank you. I have been driving out 2 nites a week to the old house to check on them. Netted for leaves and critters but still worried sick over them. Now I can look out the window and see them swimming around. What a peaceful wonderful sight.

Now what will I do with that 6 hours a weeks I just got back! :confused:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just sit back and relax, enjoy the view and have a nice tall cool one
frog568.gif
beach2f.gif

Reaction score
View attachment 4163

Pic not that great. But, they seem so happy to be home with me again. Just starting on the rocks. Temp water fall is in. They seem to like it. All going to that end. Can't wait till sat. when I am off work to work on my pond.

Attachments

• koi at night.jpg
    koi at night.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 299

Peg

A Koi kid since 1999
Reaction score
I worry about moving my Koi from NY to North Carolina.... Not sure if we're gonna move but wonder if it can be done and done safely....

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Get yourself an inverter, good air pump and container. Then fast the fish for a few days before the move and if you have enough air and water for your fish and can do it in 24 hours or so, you should be ok.

How many fish? How large are they? What is the drive time?

Peg

A Koi kid since 1999
Reaction score
Thanks DrDave... I have 6 fish in excess of 18 inches, then several about 12 or so... and a bunch of babies. I was thinking of lining my hubby's p/u truck cargo area and putting 2 feet of water in that...or buying a big tub but I have too many large fish for a tub. Will probably have to give away all but my biggest ones... I've had them since I first started ponding. The drive by car was about 14 hours and we drove straight through with short pit stops for food and bathroom breaks. Not sure if we are definitely moving or staying in NY... Not to mention about setting up a pond down there for them... Only came across one home with a pond when we went to check out the areas outside of Asheville.... Decisions, decisions, decisions......

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Peg said:
Thanks DrDave... . I was thinking of lining my hubby's p/u truck cargo area and putting 2 feet of water in that...or buying a big tub but I have too many large fish for a tub. ..

Lining the p/u truck and filling it, I think would smack the fish around too much, the water would be constantly moving and moving a lot.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If it were me, I would invest in large ice chests, They are long, insulated and have a lid to protect the fish and keep them quiet since it is dark.

Lining a pickup bed is a huge mistake for dozens of reasons. It is very important to not feed them for at least 3 days before the move. You don't want any waste in the water they are in during transit.

An inverter at Harbor Freight or Costco is a cheap investment. That will run your air pumps.

Ask a Question