Moving a koi to new pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I rescued a koi from a frustrated pond owner in September. I only took it to find it a new home. I don’t keep koi in my pond because don’t want the disturbing my lotus and lilies . I found a new home for int in a much bigger pond. My question could I move it now or should I wait for warmer weather? I would like to make the move before one of my lotus start to wake up for spring. In the past I have always bought my fish from pet shops when my pond was the same temperature as the store aquarium to prevent shock. I both ponds are the same temperature now would it be okay?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Where are you currently keeping the koi ?
No I only keep goldfish. I only took the koi because it needed a home till I could find it a permanent one. The person taking it has a much bigger pond so it will be much better off there. I prefer the goldfish because my primary interest are my plants.

Attachments

• FDEA8429-B222-4BD1-93D2-F9767334A28A.jpeg
    FDEA8429-B222-4BD1-93D2-F9767334A28A.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 319
  • ED7119BB-2357-49CF-B163-5C9874566393.jpeg
    ED7119BB-2357-49CF-B163-5C9874566393.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 313
  • 29D94882-3699-4D0F-973A-BE7894F86B09.jpeg
    29D94882-3699-4D0F-973A-BE7894F86B09.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 314
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It is currently in my pond. I just prefer to keep goldfish because they leave my plants alone. The poor koi needed a temporary home till I found it a permanent one. The pond it will be going to is much larger than mine. As you can see my pond is rather small.

Attachments

• D5BF409A-1936-4FFC-AF05-7BB03D88FB8F.jpeg
    D5BF409A-1936-4FFC-AF05-7BB03D88FB8F.jpeg
    377.8 KB · Views: 344
  • 556BE52D-BEA9-4F2F-BDAD-4D0A62BAA523.jpeg
    556BE52D-BEA9-4F2F-BDAD-4D0A62BAA523.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 343

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very nice pretty pond w/lots of lush looking plants. Nice of you to care for the koi while it waits to go to it's new home. Not sure if it's safe now to move it or not. I have only goldfish but I would not even think of moving them till the weather got warmer. Maybe the koi will behave itself in the cooler water for now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... good question. I see your point about cold water to cold water, but there's the stress of the transfer to consider. However, the fish will be much easier to catch when the water is cold as it will be slower. On the other hand, spring is a stressful time for fish anyway... can you see I'll be no help? haha!

The standard response would be that the fish should be quarantined before it gets moved to a new pond - if there are other fish in the pond currently. Does the new owner have the ability to set up a quarantine tank for the koi?

You're a kind pond owner to take on this responsibility! There are others here who will have a definitive answer for you - I'm just talking through all the pros and cons!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
[/QUOTE
[/QUOTE
Hmmm... good question. I see your point about cold water to cold water, but there's the stress of the transfer to consider. However, the fish will be much easier to catch when the water is cold as it will be slower. On the other hand, spring is a stressful time for fish anyway... can you see I'll be no help? haha!

The standard response would be that the fish should be quarantined before it gets moved to a new pond - if there are other fish in the pond currently. Does the new owner have the ability to set up a quarantine tank for the koi?

You're a kind pond owner to take on this responsibility! There are others here who will have a definitive answer for you - I'm just talking through all the pros and cons!
I know I’ve had my pond for over 20 tears and never had this situation before. I’m sure he could quarantine the fish first. He is my daughter’s boss and and an exotic animal veterinarian. I would hope he would know what he needs to do

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh, wow! Then I would certainly defer to his opinion as to the best way to proceed! Good luck!
Oh, wow! Then I would certainly defer to his opinion as to the best way to proceed! Good luck!
I still wanted options from pond people. I not sure how hands on he is with his pond. He has every other kind of patients but I’m not sure about fish and he n never stands still long enough for my daughter to ask him.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Personally I would wait till the weather is warmer. Fingers crossed the koi hasn't exposed your goldfish to anything and you're very kind to help this koi :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I rescued a koi from a frustrated pond owner in September. I only took it to find it a new home. I don’t keep koi in my pond because don’t want the disturbing my lotus and lilies . I found a new home for int in a much bigger pond. My question could I move it now or should I wait for warmer weather? I would like to make the move before one of my lotus start to wake up for spring. In the past I have always bought my fish from pet shops when my pond was the same temperature as the store aquarium to prevent shock. I both ponds are the same temperature now would it be oka
I rescued a koi from a frustrated pond owner in September. I only took it to find it a new home. I don’t keep koi in my pond because don’t want the disturbing my lotus and lilies . I found a new home for int in a much bigger pond. My question could I move it now or should I wait for warmer weather? I would like to make the move before one of my lotus start to wake up for spring. In the past I have always bought my fish from pet shops when my pond was the same temperature as the store aquarium to prevent shock. I both ponds are the same temperature now would it be okay?
If the water is the same temperature then it will not be a problem as long as the water conditions are about the same.
The colder weather could work in your favour as the koi will not be eating much so the filters will not get shocked. (Sorry i am assuming that your wheater is the same as i live in England)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another vote for moving now vs. later assuming water temps and conditions are about the same and agree that the cooler water temps would work in your favor and help make them easier to catch and handle. When Ive moved my fish to the basement for the winter Ive always waited til water cooled to around 40-45 for this very reason. Otherwise the whole act of chasing them with a net can stress a fish out and can cause injury.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. It's not uncommon that a fish get's moved from up to 20 degrees difference in temps. There are standard practices to minimize the stress the fish goes through. Also not only changing temperature affects fish. They can be bothered by a difference in PH and a host of other issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi. It's not uncommon that a fish get's moved from up to 20 degrees difference in temps. There are standard practices to minimize the stress the fish goes through. Also not only changing temperature affects fish. They can be bothered by a difference in PH and a host of other issues.
I’m aware of the effects of the other water quality factors have on the fish. I had many years of tropical fish tanks before building my pond. I am starting with temperatures because the is the only one issue I have total control over. I can pick what temperature to make the move the other concerns are going to require an acclimation process based on the difference in the two ponds . I know when we do compare the environments the water is going to be completely different. My pond is a small closed system with great fluctuations from rain and temperature changes. The pond the fish came from was a micro pond. The pond the fish will be going to is extremely large fed by a natural stream. Thank you for the input I am open to all the advice I can get

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's gonna be one happy fish!

Ive heard it said that if youre moving from warmer water into cooler water, temp differences aren't such an issue, but if you're going the other way, cool into warm, it can be more of a stress and you should be more cautious. When Ive moved my fish if there was significant difference I would gradually add in the new water over a period of a half an hour to get them acclimated before releasing.

Ask a Question