Moving bed, sand and gravel or skippy?

Tiger1

Tiger1
Reaction score
I want to add another filter to my pond with one or two 55 gals that I have. I can't decide whether to make a moving bed, sand and gravel or skippy type. Any preferences?? I already have a 80 gallon skippy waterfall. A 100 gallon external bog planted, and two 20 gal skippy water features. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What type of container did you use for your bog filter? I have been looking for one but then I ended up buying it from home depot. yours look exacly like what I was looking for. And how did you get the water back to the pond with the bog?

My bog container will have the input at the side, almost at the bottom, and output at the other side, almost at the top, then the hose connect to the waterfall. I'm hoping that is good enough for the water to flow out and into the waterfall by itself (it'll be just a bit higher than the waterfall)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Nepen, many of us with bogs have it as an extension of our ponds, with the same liner, flowing back into the pond.
I'll be watching this thread to see how you end up connecting the bog to your pond, Tiger. I liked the water barrel idea that overflows back into the pond, with what looks like a mini lily in there. Very clever!

Reaction score
Why do you want to build a new filter? Either you have an observed need for additional filtration or you are a filter junkie. If you find your current filtration inadequate, tell us what the problem is. If you are a filter junkie, build the one that sounds most fun.

Tiger1

Tiger1
Reaction score
Nepen said:
What type of container did you use for your bog filter? I have been looking for one but then I ended up buying it from home depot. yours look exacly like what I was looking for. And how did you get the water back to the pond with the bog?

My bog container will have the input at the side, almost at the bottom, and output at the other side, almost at the top, then the hose connect to the waterfall. I'm hoping that is good enough for the water to flow out and into the waterfall by itself (it'll be just a bit higher than the waterfall)
Laguna pt795. I hope this link works, but if not, look up ThePondDigger on YouTube. He's doing a series of step by step videos on how to build this. I'm using the same container. It was a little work getting it, though. Laguna/Hagen does not sell to the public. I had to call them to find the nearest dealer to me to have them order one. Don't bother with big chains like Petsmart, they won't do it. I found a small exotic reptile store who was kind enough to order one for little profit. I paid only $125. My input and output are actually on the same side. The input pipe is hidden in the pic, but it is in the bottom center connected to a manifold that spreads water evenly across bottom to move up through gravel. The outflow is in the upper right. The container comes w a hole there. I don't know why. But I just made that hole big enough to handle outflow. 1 1/2" using bulkhead. Inside pvc has elbow pointed up so I have a high water line. I want to put small fish in there. Or you can turn elbow sideways for lower water. Outside is just pvc gravity fed back to pond. The container is about 100 gal. Check out ThePondDigger. He makes a nice wood frame and side patio pond in great detail. I just did the basics. Be prepared to rinse a lot of pea gravel. 20+. That was the hardest part.

Tiger1

Tiger1
Reaction score
shakaho said:
Why do you want to build a new filter? Either you have an observed need for additional filtration or you are a filter junkie. If you find your current filtration inadequate, tell us what the problem is. If you are a filter junkie, build the one that sounds most fun.
LOL!! I am a filter junkie!! My pond is crystal clear, but I just love researching filters. I have the skippy.......in several places. And I love building them. Even have a tiny one on my 30gal barrel pond. Oh wait, I just turned that into a tiny gravel bog, just because. The sand and moving both sound fun. I leaning toward the moving bed, because I think it's better from what I gather, and after rinsing all that pea gravel for the bog, I kinda don't want to loll at rocks right now.

My motto is: Every water feature has to function as a filter.

Reaction score
JohnHuff said:
Moving bed always!

Tiger,

I seriously second this notion!

And if you are indeed a "FILTER JUNKIE" you will love this filter type! It will be a LOT of fun for you to "DIY" it and figure out how to make the bed move per your specifications. Try the Kaldness K3 media (a little expensive but if you are a junkie, you'll pay for it!) :)

Catfishnut

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Tiger1 said:
I want to add another filter to my pond with one or two 55 gals that I have. I can't decide whether to make a moving bed, sand and gravel or skippy type. Any preferences?? I already have a 80 gallon skippy waterfall. A 100 gallon external bog planted, and two 20 gal skippy water features.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Absolutely love how you implemented your filtration. Waterfall and whiskey barrel being your skippy. I love how you did the whiskey barrel skippy so to be like an island. I love the external bog and is an excellent example of how a bog works well at a remote location away from the pond, yet still connected to the pond.

Good job !! :banana: :claphands: :afro:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Tiger1 said:
Laguna pt795. I hope this link works, but if not, look up ThePondDigger on YouTube. He's doing a series of step by step videos on how to build this. I'm using the same container. It was a little work getting it, though. Laguna/Hagen does not sell to the public. I had to call them to find the nearest dealer to me to have them order one. Don't bother with big chains like Petsmart, they won't do it. I found a small exotic reptile store who was kind enough to order one for little profit. I paid only $125. My input and output are actually on the same side. The input pipe is hidden in the pic, but it is in the bottom center connected to a manifold that spreads water evenly across bottom to move up through gravel. 1) The outflow is in the upper right. The container comes w a hole there. I don't know why. But I just made that hole big enough to handle outflow. 1 1/2" using bulkhead. Inside pvc has elbow pointed up so I have a high water line. I want to put small fish in there. Or you can turn elbow sideways for lower water. Outside is just pvc gravity fed back to pond. The container is about 100 gal. Check out ThePondDigger. He makes a nice wood frame and side patio pond in great detail. I just did the basics. Be prepared to rinse a lot of pea gravel. 20+. That was the hardest part.
Yeah, ThePondDigger does some good videos. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching them.

1) The outflow is in the upper right. The container comes w a hole there. I don't know why. But I just made that hole big enough to handle outflow. 1 1/2" using bulkhead. Inside pvc has elbow pointed up so I have a high water line. I want to put small fish in there. Or you can turn elbow sideways for lower water. Outside is just pvc gravity fed back to pond.

It looks like the outflow goes up a pvc elbow then gravity flowing out to the pond. Is this correct??

If so, it looks like a good water bridge, but water bridges tend to fail over time due to small air bubble accumulation at the top of the bridge insdie the elbow. If my assumption about the pvc elbow is correct, have you had the water bridge fail you yet??

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Tiger1 said:
LOL!! I am a filter junkie!! My pond is crystal clear, but I just love researching filters. I have the skippy.......in several places. And I love building them. Even have a tiny one on my 30gal barrel pond. Oh wait, I just turned that into a tiny gravel bog, just because. The sand and moving both sound fun. I leaning toward the moving bed, because I think it's better from what I gather, and after rinsing all that pea gravel for the bog, I kinda don't want to loll at rocks right now.

My motto is: Every water feature has to function as a filter.

Well, a bog is actually a S&G (sand and gravel) filter sans a blow for clean outs plus plants on the top.

S&Gs do incredibly well at improving bio-diversity and helps to clean your water. They are also a very good way to integrate inorganic activated carbon products and calcium carbonate products such as aragonite, crushed oyster shells, crushed coral, or any of the many other formulations. Must be sure they are blown out at least every 4~5 days or once a week, depending on how dirty it gets. The blowout process encourages the proper biological processes to thrive rather than the biological processes that can harm the fish. S&Gs promote a different type of bio-diversity that a highly oxygenation filter, such as a moving bed filter, can not provide. I often read of folk replacing their expensive bead filters with multiple S&G filters. For a S&G DIY startup kit including a proper blower (sans the container and medium), check out High Desert Koi S&G DIY kit. At the least, this kit gives you an of what can be used or you can buy them directly from the owner.

Only disadvantages to the S&Gs is the expense of the blower and, once filled with the various medium, the filter is extremely heavy so it will have to be set in a good perament spot.

Moving Bed (MB) filters are excellent high chemical pollution oxidizing filters. These filters can refine much more pollution than a S&G. High Desert Koi Fluid Bed Kit gives you an idea of what materials you would need to build one. The disadvantages is that the floating kaldness medium is expensive and you will have to split off your current air pump to supply the MB with air or buy another air pump.

OR.... Rather than a MB filter, build a wet/dry shower or trickle filter in the container.

Wet/dry simply means that the medium is not entirely submerged in water such as the MB filter. Shower or trickle indicates the water flow rate you want to push through it. Shower wet/dry filters tend to be more eloborate, with multiple containers; so, I would call the 55gal container to be a wet/dry trickle filter. You simply create a water diffuser at the top of the container, it can be a pan or lid with drilled holes or a pipe manifold with holes drilled into it. Then, this water diffuser will shower or trickle down a pile of medium, which can be lava rock or cut up sponges or hair curlers. A medium that allows a significant amount of air flow and allow the water to trickle down and around it. Build the water diffuser so it is a good, even dispersion on the top of the medium. Then, the water gravity flows out of the bottom of the container.

The wet/dry filters perform just as good as a MB filter in regards to being an excellent high chemical pollution oxidizing filter and it is cheaper than a MB, but it definitely still has disadvantages that should not be ignored.

Disadvantage is the location of the outlet and the water's exposure to air and noise. So, you would need to set the wet/dry filter a little off the ground, above the pond's water level, to allow the water to flow back to the pond. Since the water is more exposed to the air, then the water will experience more of a temperature change. This type of temperature change is quite often found in particular hydroponic grow bed builds, if you are familiar with nutrient film trays or vertical grow beds. The temperature change could be a good or bad thing depending on your weather. Also, these filters can create an additional noise; however loud will depend on how you build it.

Ask a Question